Problems with the change from Draft to Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Gustav180

Problems with the change from Draft to Part Design

Post by Gustav180 »

I have some problems when I am begin a draw in Draft and want to continue in Part Design. I have a pdf with "the whole story", but can´t add it. It only tell me "Invalid file extension". How to do?
yorik
Founder

Re: Problems with the change from Draft to Part Design

Post by yorik »

You can simply zip, zip files are accepted. But if you have a simpler way to describe your problem which doesn't require people to download stuff, you'll get more chances to see it solved...
Gustav180

Post by Gustav180 »

Thank´s. Here is my experience in the attached zip-file.
Attachments
Testing FreeCAD for simple drawings.zip
(265.87 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

it is more easy to do everything in part edit/ Part workbench
3D drawing it is a different kind of approach than acad is.
Attachments
acad.FCStd
(238.83 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Yes, the shape of part your wanting and the information provided you would be far better off using Sketcher and Part Design for that part. Sketcher makes shapes like that very easy to construct using it's constraint system. It only takes 3 dimensional (radius) constraints to have the sketch fully constrained and the proper size and shape.
WithSketch.png
WithSketch.png (43.83 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Then just Pad it, make one of the 7 mm holes and add a Polar Pattern feature and it's ready to go.
WithSketch.fcstd
(20.4 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Mark

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
Gustav180

Post by Gustav180 »

Thank´s for helping. Now I have drawn in Part Desig and it work for me untill I use the Cut command in the upper left part. The part which i crossing with the dimension arrow can not be cut. When I test Fillet between the R10- and R30 circles it will not work at all. So how to cut the last part and do the fillet command?
But now I have two more questions:
1. How to set centrepoints for the R10 and R7 circles in the menu?
2. I have also test to do the array command in the Draft menu, but it will not work for me. Is this possible?
Regards
Attachments
Gasket-1.FCStd
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Gustav180 wrote:1. How to set centrepoints for the R10 and R7 circles in the menu?
thius one
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 22.38.35.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 22.38.35.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Gustav180 wrote:2. I have also test to do the array command in the Draft menu, but it will not work for me.
extrude the sketch.
create new skets for the hole and add a circular pettern over that
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Gustav180 wrote:Thank´s for helping. Now I have drawn in Part Desig and it work for me untill I use the Cut command in the upper left part. The part which i crossing with the dimension arrow can not be cut. When I test Fillet between the R10- and R30 circles it will not work at all. So how to cut the last part and do the fillet command?
But now I have two more questions:
1. How to set centrepoints for the R10 and R7 circles in the menu?
2. I have also test to do the array command in the Draft menu, but it will not work for me. Is this possible?
Regards
If your using Part Design for this part, which would be the best for what it is, there is no reason to use Cut on this part. The first thing you should do with that sketch is to Pad it to thickness. Which would be all well and good except your sketch won't Pad because it has a broken face. It has a broken face because you used the wrong type of constraint to constrain your end points. You should of used the coincident constraint, not the point on line, as it only attaches the point to the line and it is free to move anywhere along that line. The point on point or coincident constraint is the one you should be using, along with the all the common points with the circles and arcs. If your using 4 circles and they are all the same size, only give one of them the radius and then make them all equal. Same for the arcs. And you have the end of an arc intruding into the space that should be a solid. It needs to be like all the others.

Mark
Gustav180

Post by Gustav180 »

Thank´s for good helping. I think I have fixed it now. But there is something I have to ask and comment.

To Jee-Bee : This command sets not the center point coordinates, only the radius. I must locate the center point by hand with the mouse. In this drawing it´s easy, but how to do when I not can use the snap function?

I am little confused about which workbench where I have to begin. It looks like to go into a maze, there is only one way to came out but a lot of no go. Here is a lot of workbenches, but in which of them can I work?
Attachments
Gasket-2.FCStd
(396.64 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Gustav180 wrote:Thank´s for good helping. I think I have fixed it now. But there is something I have to ask and comment.

To Jee-Bee : This command sets not the center point coordinates, only the radius. I must locate the center point by hand with the mouse. In this drawing it´s easy, but how to do when I not can use the snap function?

I am little confused about which workbench where I have to begin. It looks like to go into a maze, there is only one way to came out but a lot of no go. Here is a lot of workbenches, but in which of them can I work?
I think you are going about this in a very hard, complicated and complex manner for such a simple model. To demonstrate this, here is the dependenct graph for your part, from Gasket-2.FCStd -
Gasket-2_depgraph.png
Gasket-2_depgraph.png (70.99 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
- and here is the dependency graph for the model I posted, using 2 sketches, from this post - posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=93669#pr93334 -
WithSketch_depgraph.png
WithSketch_depgraph.png (21.72 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
There is no need to go from Part to Part Design to Draft to Part.... Everything that is needed for constructing that part in accordance to what you posted in the PDF is right there in Part Design. As you can see by comparing the two dependency graphs, using just the Part Design Workbench is a bit simpler than the way you have gone about it.

Oh, and applying the Fillets to round off the sides with a tangent Arc, is not the best way to go about providing such a feature. Fillets should be used only for finishing touches, like rounding off sharp edges. They should not be used to create functional geometry like the actual footprint of the part. Fillets are notorious for their flakiness and are a poor substitute for including proper geometry in the construction your part. I am sure others might have a different opinion on this, but following the advice will lead to less problems in the future with your parts and Fillets.

If you merge my Part with your part of copy over a simple copy of my part into your document you will see that my part is not quite the same as yours. This is due to the placement of your separate parts. The way you have your model constructed, the Fillets don't replace true tangent arcs like I used in the sketch for the outer profile of the part. Again, going by the first drawing you provided in the PDF, I do believe that my version is dead-bang accurate as far as geometry of the Arcs and placement of the holes.

Mark