help with Youtube tutorial "Intro to FreeCAD's Part Design Workbench Parts 1 and 2 (with audio)"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vancouverron

help with Youtube tutorial "Intro to FreeCAD's Part Design Workbench Parts 1 and 2 (with audio)"

Post by vancouverron »

This is about as basic as it can get, yet I still did not manage:
In this tutorial we start out with a circle of 81 mm and constrain it to the origin (no problem);
Then we pad the circle to 3 mm thickness (no problem);
Next, we want to create a second circle constrained to the same origin as the first circle - and this is where I got stuck:

Instructions from the video are as follows:
"Select the top of the Pad, then click Create Sketch to map our new Sketch to the top face" - ok;

"Click the Create a Circle button" - ok;

"Hover the cursor over the point of the origin. When the point turns green click it to constrain the center of the circle to the origin."
- this does not work. For whatever reason I cannot get the point of origin to turn green.
I also tried to simply create a second circle at a random position and then use the "Create a coincident constraint on the selected item", selecting the point of origin and the center of the second circle - no joy.

Obviously this is pretty basic, so where did I blow it?
Any help is much appreciated!
Ron

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Masterinventor

Re: help with Youtube tutorial "Intro to FreeCAD's Part Design Workbench Parts 1 and 2 (with audio)"

Post by Masterinventor »

I'm having the exact same problem. There does not appear to be a dot representing the origin. I'm a newbe, so maybe just me, but I've followed the video step by step, multiple times. Tried rebooting, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom