Drawing disappeared and question with drawing dimensioning WB

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Drawing disappeared and question with drawing dimensioning WB

Post by chrisb »

I hope I can find some help here although the Drawing Dimensioning WB is involved. I know it is not part of main FreeCAD.
1.) I have a simple Sketch with padding, and another sketch attached to it, padded again.
I created two drawings and used the drawing dimensioning WB to add dimensions. Reopening was no problem until all of a sudden the drawings disappeard. I can see them in the tree but no picture. It is not really much work, but I would like to know where my mistake is.

I attach a screenshot from the PDF I had exported before.
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-05 um 02.17.07.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-05 um 02.17.07.png (81.74 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
2.) And I have a question concerning the handling of the drawing dimension WB: for the tilted 3 at the top right I had to add an additional point in my sketch, which I don't like. Is there a possibility to get such dimensions directly?
Chris

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.5171 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 6c32edfb8c8f95fb51f0cba694fc46c53fb0059d
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a

same on MacOS with older version:
Version: 0.15.4630 (Git)
Hash: 1b7c0e2a51bf4bffe5f345204c9c2bc6681e151d
Python version: 2.7.5
Attachments
trittbrettleiste.FCStd
(30.88 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by chrisb on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
quick61
Veteran

Re: Drawing disappeared and question with drawing dimesnsioning WB

Post by quick61 »

Humm, indeed they are there, just not being displayed. A quick workaround - click on any of the entries in the drawing group and in it's Data tab change something like the X or Y values. Just select a value and change it by one and back again, not hit the recompute button or click in the Drawing view and the drawing should now be visible. You'll need to do that for each of the 3 sheets.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Drawing disappeared and question with drawing dimesnsioning WB

Post by chrisb »

Thank you very much! This was the hint I needed. I used the Force_Recompute.py Macro from the FreeCAD website and everything is back.
Chris
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Drawing disappeared and question with drawing dimensioning WB

Post by chrisb »

And here is the answer to my second question: The current version can do it. Create linear dimension and select the two lines; thats it.
Chris
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I assumed this was custom drawing templates related issue here but it is not. It is affected by changed behaviour introduced in development release but this also affects default set of drawing templates. Therefore indeed current drawing templates support in drawing workbench using development release is quite broken. Using only default set of drawing templates can't protect you from potential issues.

I will assume you made this file on MacOS with older version? You have plain set of drawing templates in it without the branding. After you opened the file on latest development release and experienced issues? My assumption is you can only fix this issues by using recompute procedure on MacOS with older version? Is that assumption correct? On latest development release it will only work for Page_0.7 and it will not work for Page_3.0 and Page002? And for Page_0.7 it will work in a way it will add branding to the template where on MacOS with older version you didn't get any branding (FreeCAD logo)?

Anyway i will report this additional behaviour here: issue #0001963

But as for fixing this and other known issues drawing workbench in development release has i am not sure it will happen soon. At least Ian or whoever will tackle this in new drawing workbench can avoid introducing issues like this in DW next.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Yes, you are right: I created most of it with the older 0.15-version. I am not quite shure, but perhaps I edited it partly with the 0.16 version on my linux box.
I am not quite sure when the problem occured. Since I still feel being a newbie, I assumed some handling error on my side and tried different things with the different versions I have installed on different computers.

Concerning the recompute, I have checked three different versions all behaving differently:
    Version: 0.15.4630 (Git)
    Hash: 1b7c0e2a51bf4bffe5f345204c9c2bc6681e151d
    Python version: 2.7.5
    OCC version: 6.7.1.oce-0.16
    Behaviour: recompute fixes all drawings. No branding.
    Version: 0.16.4945 (Git)
    Build type: Release
    Hash: 6cd9220079a1efb1a2f33842fa614521a31bf0d5
    Python version: 2.7.9
    OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
    Behaviour: Page_0.7 works (with branding), Page002 is broken, Page3.0 works (with branding)
    Version: 0.16.5171 (Git)
    Build type: None
    Hash: 6c32edfb8c8f95fb51f0cba694fc46c53fb0059d
    Python version: 2.7.6
    OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
    Behaviour: Only Page_0.7 works (with branding), Page002 is broken, Page3.0 is broken
Thanks for the help.
Chris
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes i added this new info in issue #0001963 and i see today somebody opened additional bug report issue #0002184.

Not much can be said or done beyond that from my side. Maybe i can offer you a workaround for files you used multiple drawing templates in it to salvage the drawings for now if you want to use latest development release. Lets assume you used multiple drawing templates A4_Landscape_plain.svg:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... /Templates

Do this before you open the files.

Code: Select all

FreeCAD.ConfigGet("UserAppData")
At this location create Templates folder. In it put copies of drawing template named:

A4_Landscape_plain.svg
A4_Landscape_plain1.svg
A4_Landscape_plain2.svg
A4_Landscape_plain3.svg
A4_Landscape_plain4.svg
A4_Landscape_plain5.svg
.... (depends on the number of templates you used).

After refresh all drawings should be back again. I would export them to SVG or PDF as i don't know what the fix will be in the future or if DW next will read this files without issues. If you want to export to DXF (development release) you have to do the same for corresponding DXF drawing template.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thank you for the workaround. As for me, no further action has to be taken. I wasn't happy with the design anyway and redid the part design all over. It is better now, although I am still not satisfied with the design.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrisb wrote:Thank you for the workaround. As for me, no further action has to be taken. I wasn't happy with the design anyway and redid the part design all over. It is better now, although I am still not satisfied with the design.
If you did it in development release just remember that new drawings will still be affected. After you will reopen .fcstd file you will be confronted with the same issue.

P.S. Basically ATM in the development release you should only insert one drawing template (one for each size) provided in drop-down menu.