Need help using arch section plane with sketcher

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
more11

Need help using arch section plane with sketcher

Post by more11 »

Hi

I am trying to make drawings for my house. I have created the structure using sketcher. When I select a wall and create a drawing the doors don't show.

I figured the correct way to get the doors to show in the drawing is to create a section plane. I can do that, but when I select it and choose draft/2d view tool it says "No objects are cut by the plane".

Also the section plane doesn't show visually.

Is this a bug?
Point taken :-)
triplus
Veteran

Re: Need help using arch section plane with sketcher

Post by triplus »

It would help if you would attach .fcstd file for us to observe what are you trying to do.
more11

Post by more11 »

Of course triplus. The drawing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... lane.FCStd

I also recorded a macro: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... ro.FCMacro

When making recording the macro I get:

Code: Select all

class Standard_OutOfRange No OCCT Exception MessageTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\more10.HOLISTICODE\Downloads\FreeCAD_0.16.5113_x64_dev_bin\Mod\Draft\Draft.py", line 4669, in execute
    obj.Shape = self.getProjected(obj,comp,proj)
  File "C:\Users\more10.HOLISTICODE\Downloads\FreeCAD_0.16.5113_x64_dev_bin\Mod\Draft\Draft.py", line 4611, in getProjected
    groups = Drawing.projectEx(shape,direction)
<class 'Part.OCCError'>: class Standard_OutOfRange No OCCT Exception Message
So I guess there is also a bug.

When playing the macro the creation of the 2dview is not played, maybe because there was an exception?
more11

Post by more11 »

This is the drawing after the exception: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... ne-2.FCStd

With the 2dview which is broken.
more11

Post by more11 »

The problem was that the section plane was just 1 mm, and my house is 17 m. When I changed its size I saw that it was below my walls. So I changed z to 1 meter. The 2d plane works, but I cannot get it on the drawing. The current file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... ne-3.FCStd
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

more11 wrote:The problem was that the section plane was just 1 mm, and my house is 17 m. When I changed its size I saw that it was below my walls. So I changed z to 1 meter. The 2d plane works, but I cannot get it on the drawing. The current file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... ne-3.FCStd
Yes exactly i was just writing this. You need to make section view "intersecting" the Wall. And you do that by moving Section position up the Z Axis and by making it bigger.

I think it makes little sense to have section view height/length set at 1mm by default. After all this is Arch tool where everything is usually measured in meters.

About getting it on the drawing. You did that successfully. Change the ViewShape2DView Properties X: 20 Y: 200 and Scale 0,01 and you should see it.
more11

Post by more11 »

Thanks triplus! That is beautiful! I am going to use drawings made with FreeCAD to apply for building permits.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

more11 wrote:Thanks triplus! That is beautiful! I am going to use drawings made with FreeCAD to apply for building permits.
Great to hear that. I see you are using latest development release and i would hate to see you doing all the hard work and after to have issues with disappearing drawings when reopening the files.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11655

You can still use the latest development release to create the drawings but you will probably need to use workaround mentioned on the link for smooth work flow.
more11

Post by more11 »

How do I get dimensions to the drawing?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

You can use Draft Dimension tool and add dimensions to that 2D object you made with Arch SectionPlane. After you are done you select everything and use the Draft tool to put everything on the drawing sheet. After you can select everything you just added to Page object and change Properties X: 20 Y: 200 and Scale 0,01 and you should see the result.

Another alternative is to use 3rd party module drawing dimensioning. You could use Drawing Orthoviews from Drawing WB to create views... There are a lot of options available therefore test a few and use whatever works best for your use case.