Prior sketchup User Needs Help With Text Extrusion

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
antamiga

Prior sketchup User Needs Help With Text Extrusion

Post by antamiga »

I want to make a simple name plate on FreeCAD that I can print on a 3d printer. I used to use sketchup a lot and was very comfortable with editing models, but now that I'm trying to learn FC, I'm completely frustrated. :evil:

I want to do something like this good tutorial: FreeCAD 3D Printable Text Example The difference is that I want to make my base flush with the back of the text.

I made a base for the text that was approximately right, but then I can't figure out how to select the extruded base and move it as a unit and have it snap to the back of the text. I tried to edit the sketch and move just the back edge, but snapping wasn't working even though all of the snaps were enabled and it was turned on in the preferences.

Can someone help me understand how to move geometry and how to make it snap? I also don't understand why I can draw a rectangle onto a sketch and I can also draw a rectangle under the draft menus, but they aren't the same kind of object.

I don't want to give up on FC, when I know it can do a lot of great stuff. :(
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Prior sketchup User Needs Help With Text Extrusion

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD. :)
antamiga wrote:I also don't understand why I can draw a rectangle onto a sketch and I can also draw a rectangle under the draft menus, but they aren't the same kind of object.
They do different things, its like the difference between a Japanese Hatch back and an Australian ute! They are still both cars but have different advantages. You can drive both in comfort but the ute is better if you want to take some hay with you and the hatch is better if you are trying to park in the city!

The sketcher just makes a cross-section that is used to create a solid or a feature on the solid, where as the Draft square is a "real" object.

Mostly in FreeCAD you want to model a 3d solid, and their are a few useful tools in Draft wb and Part WB but most of your work is likely to be in PartDesign.

The easiest way to produce what I think you want is to just make the base and text in a convenient location and orientation and then Part WB "Fuse" the two together. You can move and orientate the Fuse independently once it is created. Then you don't need to use snapping or move the components.

Note that the PartDesign WB is for producing a solid and all the placement/orientation of that single contiguous solid is controlled by the placement/orientation of the first sketch within the solid's history.