Is it possible to combine .FCStd files?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Eagle

Is it possible to combine .FCStd files?

Post by Eagle »

Hello,

I have recently started using FreeCAD. I think it is a fine open source project !
I am designing some parts that would later be 3D-printed, and they have to match very well (it's a worm drive), so I was wondering whether there is a tool to check if the worm and the worm wheel match well. Apart from that, if the two models were developed in separate .FSCtd files, if is possible to combine them into one such file, so that I can check if they match well (hopefully that part can be automated).

Thanks in advance!
quick61
Veteran

Re: Is it possible to combine .FCStd files?

Post by quick61 »

Eagle wrote:Hello,

I have recently started using FreeCAD. I think it is a fine open source project !
I am designing some parts that would later be 3D-printed, and they have to match very well (it's a worm drive), so I was wondering whether there is a tool to check if the worm and the worm wheel match well. Apart from that, if the two models were developed in separate .FSCtd files, if is possible to combine them into one such file, so that I can check if they match well (hopefully that part can be automated).

Thanks in advance!
File > Merge project... is what you would use to import a FreeCAD document into an existing FreeCAD document.

There is no real tool to check how well parts work together. This should be built into your design from the start. For example, if you have an 8 mm hole and an 8 mm pin, there is no clearance for one to fit into the other, so either the hole needs to be oversized or the pin undersized for manufacturing and real world assembly. Sometimes the holes are made the same size and one part is heated and the other cooled and assembled so when both reach the same temperature there is a tight friction fit, but that is another topic. ;)

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thank you.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Until FreeCAD makes further progress with the Assembly branch you could try the following

1) Export your FreeCAD files to STEP
2) Use OnShape see https://www.onshape.com/ (You will need a browser that supports WebGL)
to combine the STEP files.
cox

Post by cox »

Before leaving FreeCAD for some other software I would encourage you to play around with hamish's Assembly 2 workbench for FreeCAD v0.15 addon.

https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_assembly2
viewtopic.php?t=8577
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
Roland

Post by Roland »

In support of Cox's advice:
The said workbench has a tool to check whether parts do overlap/interfere