Normal plane at helix end point

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Normal plane at helix end point

Post by ickby »

Automatic addition of parts and bodies proved to be strange too, that is why we removed it for now. The popups are not that bad, as they directly teach you how the workflow is intended. Sure annoying at the beginning, but after a while you automatically add parts/bodies as normal operation and don't we the popups anymore.

About the links, the "dependent copy" should update if the original helix is changed. If not this is a bug, I'm going to test this later. Also the fact that the sketch does not work in your last operation is a bug.

Thanks for testing and giving a detailed walkthrough!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Normal plane at helix end point

Post by triplus »

ickby wrote:Automatic addition of parts and bodies proved to be strange too, that is why we removed it for now. The popups are not that bad, as they directly teach you how the workflow is intended. Sure annoying at the beginning, but after a while you automatically add parts/bodies as normal operation and don't we the popups anymore.
After you read it once believe me usually you don't want to read it or see it again. ;) What about simple mistakes when you already know you need Part/Body object but you clicked on some tool by mistake first (for example you worked in the active document and created new one and pressed the tool and instead pop-up greater appeared) . :x

This is the recipe in my opinion on how good intentions can turns out not all that optimal in the end! My suggestion would be to do it automatically anyway. Why? As it can be reliably detected when to do it (pop-up is the proof of that as it appears reliably).

Therefore if you need Part object and there isn't any yet just insert one automatically. If you need Body object and there isn't any yet just insert one automatically (in active Part object if it exist or if there is no Part object insert one first).

What would be potential issues if that would be implemented?
About the links, the "dependent copy" should update if the original helix is changed. If not this is a bug, I'm going to test this later.
Great.

I was thinking a bit on the terminology currently used. Would Copy/Clone be better terms for Independent/Dependant? And should there really be (recommended) added to any of them? I see them all as valid choices based on the use case.

Is there any chance selection of this options could be moved in the Task Sidebar? Therefore to have this options available in Task Sidebar for a given task instead of the pop-up?
Also the fact that the sketch does not work in your last operation is a bug.
I had a feeling about that as if i switch to Sketcher WB manually the options are there.
Thanks for testing and giving a detailed walkthrough!
You're welcome.

P.S. For Delete Pop-Ups and double click action to make Part/Body object active. Hopefully DAGView will do this better in the future. Therefore to clearly indicate active Part/Body and to switch between more of them with single click. Delete Messages currently found in pop-ups and appropriate highlighting mode to inform the user what will happen if proceeded and action buttons with options...

That is some food for thought and hopefully some things suggested make sense to the developers and other users!