Strange behaviour of FILLET

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rider_mortagnais

Strange behaviour of FILLET

Post by rider_mortagnais »

Hi all,

After a few months long break, I needed FreeCAD to design a part for my bike.
As I don't know the best way - if there is one - to build a part, I tried many techniques...
but It always tends to give (different) problems! :(

So, I thought it was time for me to open a new topic here, perhaps the issues I face are more or less bugs.
I start to think bug as a friend, working with SolidWorks, as no issues to create fillet on the part I gave him.

Here are some pictures to start with, that everybody can understand without having to download the file (see below) :

- the original part

- the "post mount" adapter I have on it

- the part that will replace both

- the back of the part

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a

Any idea how to transfer my file? It says it is "too large"... :/
Last edited by rider_mortagnais on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newbie in CAD!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Strange behaviour of FILLET

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi some tips, not sure exactly what the issues are, would need the file for that, but some pointers...

1) please don't put your version data in your signature... the problem is that when you up date it then all your old posts show the new, and hence wrong, version data.
2) I assume that your version data in your signature is wrong, as it is very much out of date....for the most features and bug fixes you are usually best to use the development snap shots, "release" versions usually age very quickly and generally do not get any bug fixes etc.
3) often fillets fail because there is an issue with the solid, this can be that a fillet will remove an entire edge or some other thing, this can also be because the solid is not valid, you should run Part wb "check geometry" (with extended BOP checks enabled will find more issues)
4) as a general rule, it is usually best to leave fillets until the last operation so if there are any issues you will not ruin the rest of the parts' history.

Jim
rider_mortagnais

Hi, thanks for your answer!

I just noticed after posting that my signature was not reflecting the actual version I have...
As you say it doesn't really help if all the other posts are updtaed (some forums don't do that, I didn't notice how it works here).

You can now check the first post, as it is updated.

The file was 4mb...I had to erase every construction step before the actual ones to reach <1mb, I don't know if now we can see a lot. :/
Attachments
corr3_light.FCStd
(868.52 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Last edited by rider_mortagnais on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie in CAD!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Another general suggestion: redundant edges that you seem to have lots of are known to cause fillets to fail. Try cleaning them up with OpenSCAD RefineShapeFeature.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

rider_mortagnais wrote:Any idea how to transfer my file? It says it is "too large"... :/
Send it to a third party file hosting site and then post a link to it here.

rider_mortagnais wrote:You can now check the first post, as it is updated.
rider_mortagnais wrote:OS: Windows 7
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
As you can see from my version data from FreeCAD compiled a few days or week or so ago, your version is about one thousand commits behind what you could have if you installed a development snap shot version, you can also run one of these without installing it and hence use more than one FreeCAD version at once. This may not help in this case but then perhaps it might. there are certainly some really cool new features that have been added. Expressions has been pushed to master, for example.....and numerous other bug fixes and features.

Jim

Version: 0.16.5657 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f439208282cfbe5d9ee0d64b46072d38017410e1
Python version: 2.7.6
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
rider_mortagnais

I just checked, and the version I updated - less than 1 month ago - is the latest for Win7 64bit...
Do I have to go further and try v16, even if it's not "fully released"?

Anyway, thanks for the few tips above, I will try to use them and see if it improves!
The biggest issues I had was to make the green fillet :

As you can see it's cutting two others fillets, and I had to play around :
extruding new blocs, creating the fillet and then doing a cavity of what was in excess!
I was also not able to size it like asked (1,5mm didn't work, I then used 1,49mm).
Newbie in CAD!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

rider_mortagnais wrote:I just checked, and the version I updated - less than 1 month ago - is the latest for Win7 64bit...
Do I have to go further and try v16, even if it's not "fully released"?
Yes, go to 0.16 snap shots...really "released" is just a word...in most cases it makes little negative differences (i.e. mostly just improvements) ...the snap shots usually have many bug fixes, contain new features and by using snap shots and reporting any bugs in the development snap shots, you help the development of FreeCAD. Any bug found in a "release" version that is not also in the development version will in most case be never fixed.
rider_mortagnais

Here is the file, I admit I was lazy to find another place to upload the file! :D
After google-ing "filehosting", I found in the first results ": http://www.filehosting.org/!!!

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details ... orr3.FCStd
Newbie in CAD!
rider_mortagnais

Hi all,

I'm back, with this :
Version: 0.16.5687 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b68ae65f5607f5d910584dfb61d8c67b1b94addd
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

I want to create a fillet here :

But I want it to have a radius of 2,5mm...when the actual depth is also 2,5mm, it then doesn't work.
Do I have to avoid such simple things and go for a sketch and then extruding it??
Newbie in CAD!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

rider_mortagnais wrote:But I want it to have a radius of 2,5mm...when the actual depth is also 2,5mm, it then doesn't work.
Do I have to avoid such simple things and go for a sketch and then extruding it??
A fillet cannot consume an entire face so if you really must have 2.5mm then yes.
2.4999999999999999999mm should work though.
"fight the good fight"