From a 3D part to EVERY 2D dimensions...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: From a 3D part to EVERY 2D dimensions...

Post by PrzemoF »

Thanks! :D I'm well aware that the force direction is wrong and also the caliper will make the whole construction much stiffer. The value of the force is not really important as I don't show any values and the stress/deformation field (?) should be the same no matter what is the force. I used 10kN :o

I used some not yet released code, so if you want to make calculations + visualisation in FreeCAD it will look different unless you're willing to compile FreeCAD yourself. I used VTK by ickby + netgen patches by Fat-Zer.

There are some hot spots on the edge of the base on both visualisations, so it might be worth to change the construction a little bit.

To make FEM calcs you'll need:
1. FreeCAD compiled with netgen or FreeCAD, gmsh and a macro GMSHMarco (it's somewhere on the forum)
2. CalculiX ccx binary - might be included in FreeCAD or you might want to get it somewhere
The procedure will be different depending on the above. I can guide you step-by-step if you have any problems, but in general:
1. Create analysis
2. Make sure a mesh is in the analysis (netgen - interactive meshing, gmesh - external meshing)
3. Assign material
4. Apply constraints and forces (Important: apply them to the solid, not to the mesh!)
5. Run analysis <-- if you hit a problem here make sure ccx path is set in FEM preferences
6. Show results on the mesh

That wiki page is outdated a bit as FEM development is really fast recently.
Attachments
Bike_part.FCStd
(869.92 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
rider_mortagnais

Post by rider_mortagnais »

Thanks for your work!

I don't have time yet for this, I would propose to move it to another topic, THIS one I just created for example. ;)

I come back on the 2D dimensions, I first did a shape2D and then put dimensions on it...
but it seems when I'm done with it, I cannot insert it in a A3, like I would/could with a 3D object/ortho views : any ideas?
:arrow: do I have to restart everything to put the dimensions on the 3D object and then only insert ortho view+dimensions???
Attachments
TRIAL that fails.FCStd
(183.53 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Newbie in CAD!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

rider_mortagnais wrote:I come back on the 2D dimensions, I first did a shape2D and then put dimensions on it...
but it seems when I'm done with it, I cannot insert it in a A3, like I would/could with a 3D object/ortho views : any ideas?
It sounds like you are trying to use the insert into drawing tool in the Drawing workbench, which will not work for Draft 2d or Draft Dimensions ...you have to go to the Draft WB and use the Draft to Drawing tool.
rider_mortagnais

I read what you wrote, and then I tried...now it works! ;)

Now I don't know exactly how to modify the text of each dimension, for example the 35mm between the holes is inverted, I cannot make it turn??
Attachments
TRIAL that fails.FCStd
latest version
(249.06 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Newbie in CAD!
rider_mortagnais

Hello gentlemen,

I am still fighting about getting a proper 2D drawing with dmensions.

There are 2 things I noticed :
1. When using the Draft Drawing function in the Draft WB, you need to have the selected object(s) visible!!
--> it's not obvious and I didn't see anything written related to this. :!:
2. When creating angle (dimension) in the Draft WB, they look good until I try to modify them :
a red error message, talking about pyton line 39xx in Draft WB, appears.
As a result, if I close and then reopen the document, all the dimensions (figures) related to the angles I created go somewhere else (XY at origin point instead of XZ where they were).

Is this a bug??
NIKE.FCStd
(216.64 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Newbie in CAD!
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Did you have a look at the "Drawing dimensioning workbench" it is an extra workbench (a third party plugin if you want) that allows you to do dimensioning of drawings in a different way and it might work better for you then draft dimensioning...

https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztMTLp4wZx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfCxKOV-8FY
rider_mortagnais

As said before, I tried to install it, watched videos also, but something goes bad and it doesn't work.

I will try again...
Newbie in CAD!
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

I see you are running FreeCAD dev build on windows, this you can normally put anywhere on your system. Personally for example I use them mostly for testing and so simply have them on my desktop, so the path to them is something like this C:\Users\User\Desktop\FreeCAD_0.16.6039_x64_dev_bin (but your can be different, depending where on you put it. Standard installation from the setup would for example be something like this C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.15).

Both of the above are examples of the FreeCAD "installation" folder and in both you would find an sub folder named "Mod" (stands for FreeCAD Modules), if you open the Mod folder you will see there your standard modules (workbenches) like Arch, Draft,... and you simply have to put your "Drawing dimensioning workbench" folder here.

You get the "Drawing dimensioning workbench" by simply downloading it from https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... mensioning "Download ZIP" button in the upper right corner (direct link https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... master.zip), unzip it and as said above, place it in the Mod sub folder of your FreeCAD installation folder.

There is just one more thing :) when you unzip it, you will see its folder name has a somewhat long name like "FreeCAD_drawing_dimensioning-master" simply rename it to something shorter like "dimensioning". That's it, I have just tested the latest version of it with the latest dev build and it seems to install fine.

Have your FreeCAD closed when doing this or restart if after your are done.

Removing it is as simple as deleting its folder from the Mod folder. And updating it to the latest version is just downloading a new zip and repeat the above :)

The description is a bit long but it is generally quite simple, just a mater of moving a folder.

PS: the above is generally true for all extra modules (workbenches), in a similar way FreeCAD can also be extended with macros, those are however placed in a different folder ;)
rider_mortagnais

Simply did it, again, simply doesn't work! :evil:

I appreciate your help anyway! ;)
Here is what I did, step by (for) step :
- Newest 0.16 version downloaded, installed, working
- your direct link downloaded (dimensioning WB)
- the .7z unzipped
- renamed to "Dimensioning"
- cut/paste into "Mod" of the freshly installed 0.16 version (when software was closed).
- opened FreeCAD...cannot find a new WB im the list (no "Dimensioning") :!:

PS : I also run everything from D: drive like you

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6045 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: e305f079d0cfe83d388c5f62ca4dcc7c6777099f
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Newbie in CAD!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

rider_mortagnais wrote:Simply did it, again, simply doesn't work! :evil:
@ rider_mortagnais
Can you try this? Works just like any win snapshot but "drawing-dimensioning" is pre-installed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o498tzeah2d4y ... in.7z?dl=0
"fight the good fight"