Odd save files

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Faux

Odd save files

Post by Faux »

Hello! I'm new to this community so I'll briefly introduce myself.

I'm a 23 year old boy, not very creative but working hard every day to keep extending my creative side. I like following recipes for making food, building stuff etc., I like to play games now and then and I love programming! I recently opened up for designing 3D-designs for 3D-printing.

I started yesterday and so far I've done a pretty good job in my opinion. My problem is that for some odd reason my save files turned all weird. I cannot attach the "corrupted" save file, as the file extension is not supported for some reason. I'll just type the file-type here:

E098EC8E-85F3-45FC-BFF2-376F80DF6FA7-file (.e098ec8e-85f3-45fc-bff2-376f80df6fa7)

Looking at a hexadecimal converter, it says something like this: ��쎅�E���7o��o�

If there are anyone out here that can help me, I would really appreciate it! It would be delightful to get an explanation on what went wrong and, how to avoid the problem in the future!

Here is the information from the "About FreeCAD":

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4671 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-15
Hash: 244b3aef360841646cbfe80a1b225c8b39c8380c
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Kindest regards
Faux
Last edited by Faux on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Odd save files

Post by jmaustpc »

Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.

Please start by posting your Help ...about FreeCAD, data. If you don't know what I am talking about, please refer to the first topic at the top of the Help forum.

Does this file corruption happen when you use "Save As", does it happen in any directory? Do you have any directory with non ASCII characters in the name?
Faux

Post by Faux »

I apologize, I forgot to read the sticky post (as I usually do), although I read it right after posting. Was waiting for a moderator to approve my post so I could edit in the information.

As for the save file, a colleague of mine asked me, if I tried re-naming the file so it only had .FCStd in it instead of .FCStd.e098ec8e..... etc.
So, I tried it...... And despite my distrust in this logic, it worked! So if any of you guys ever have this problem, then just remove the file extension so it only says .FCStd. :)

It may have happened because it has an "æ" in it, which is a Scandinavian letter and not an English letter. If that's the main reason for the problem, I cannot tell.

Thanks for trying to help though @jmaustpc.

I hope you all have a nice day! :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

If there are anyone out here that can help me, I would really appreciate it! It would be delightful to get an explanation on what went wrong and, how to avoid the problem in the future!
In order to avoid a possible loss of data FreeCAD creates temporarily a file of the form <basename>.<GUID> where <basename> is the name you specified in the dialog and GUID a unique ID.
If the file save succeeded FreeCAD checks if there is already a file <basename>.fcstd and if so it renames it to <basename>.fcstd1. If there was a file <basename>.fcstd1 it was renamed to <basename>.fcstd2 and so on. Afterwards the file <basename>.<GUID> will be renamed to <basename>.fcstd.

The last renaming can fail if you have "locked" the file <basename>.fcstd. This e.g. can happen if you have opened it with a zip application like 7-zip. There might be other ways to somehow lock a file.
My problem is that for some odd reason my save files turned all weird. I cannot attach the "corrupted" save file, as the file extension is not supported for some reason. I'll just type the file-type here:

E098EC8E-85F3-45FC-BFF2-376F80DF6FA7-file (.e098ec8e-85f3-45fc-bff2-376f80df6fa7)

Looking at a hexadecimal converter, it says something like this: ��쎅�E���7o��o�
Hard to say if your files are really corrupted or not. So, to check this rename the files to have the file extension ".fcstd" and load into FreeCAD. If this works without any error messages the files are fine.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

It may have happened because it has an "æ" in it, which is a Scandinavian letter and not an English letter. If that's the main reason for the problem, I cannot tell.
In FreeCAD file names internally are utf-8 encoded so there should be no problem with any non-ASCII characters.
Faux

Post by Faux »

wmayer wrote:In FreeCAD file names internally are utf-8 encoded so there should be no problem with any non-ASCII characters.
Okay, I see. Then, as you mentioned earlier, I might've somehow locked the save-file. I was just very curious on how this may have happened, since it worked without problems yesterday.

Thanks for all of the information. It's highly appreciated. :)