opening files on osx

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
japie

opening files on osx

Post by japie »

Hello,

Does anybody knows a way to open a drawing by double clicking it so FreeCAD starts and opens that file? (looks so simple but never got that working)
wmayer
Founder

Re: opening files on osx

Post by wmayer »

On other OS there is usually a way to connect a certain file extension with an application so that this application will be started when you double-click a file with this extension. I have no idea if OSX handles this differently.
japie

Post by japie »

yes and no, an application in osX is inside a folder (with a hidden .app suffix) with a defined structure containing al sorts of files including the real binary (and if needed libs and other stuff including an info.plist file contains information about used file extensions), when clicking that folder the application starts. (for the end user you don't see a folder only an application icon)
In case of FreeCAD the info.plist file is incomplete and therefore you can't open a drawing by double-click.
There was a post from 2013 containing a modified plist file that should work but the link is dead was hoping someone over here had a solution...

When I start from the command line all is working:

Code: Select all

/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeCAD /Users/japie/Desktop/Struyk-Techniek/werk/Minimumrisk--3.80/minimumrisk-V3.FCStd 
japie

Post by japie »

I found the same post/example earlier and got so far FreeCAD opens when double clicking a drawing only it opened stock so the file not loaded.