.FCStd don't save/open correctly

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: .FCStd don't save/open correctly

Post by NormandC »

This is a common issue that inexplicably cropped up lately with people on Windows, I suggest looking for other similar topics on the forum.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Just had a look into your file. It is modeled quite inefficiently. You could have modeled a single blade and then used a Draft Array in polar mode to create the rest of the blades.

Also if it is to be a single object, you should fuse everything with a Part Fuse. Chances are the STL file in your first screenshot probably has errors that could cause problems with slicers if you plan to 3D print it.

And I think just these two recommended practices may solve your problem since it would simplify your model...
_OZ_

Post by _OZ_ »

I changed the name completely and all is good.

Thanks again.
_OZ_

Post by _OZ_ »

I'm new to any type of CAD and wasn't aware of draft away in polar mode. I searched for a tutorial on doing that, but couldn't find one. I wouldn't have even known what to call it. Next time I'll try that.

Even with all of the inefficiencies, the STL printed with zero problems.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

@_OZ_
Are you really on Win8 or is it Win10?
"fight the good fight"
_OZ_

Post by _OZ_ »

10, but it shows up as 8 for some reason. This computer never had 8 on it.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

_OZ_ wrote:10, but it shows up as 8 for some reason
Thanks _OZ_,
Win10 didn't exist when 0.15 was released and the check has only been implemented in the 0.16 dev branch recently. I was asking because of Normandc's post. It is beginning to look like a pattern.
NormandC wrote:This is a common issue that inexplicably cropped up lately with people on Windows, I suggest looking for other similar topics on the forum.
"fight the good fight"
_OZ_

Post by _OZ_ »

NormandC wrote:Just had a look into your file. It is modeled quite inefficiently. You could have modeled a single blade and then used a Draft Array in polar mode to create the rest of the blades.

Also if it is to be a single object, you should fuse everything with a Part Fuse. Chances are the STL file in your first screenshot probably has errors that could cause problems with slicers if you plan to 3D print it.

And I think just these two recommended practices may solve your problem since it would simplify your model...
I took your advice and made the part as you describe. Waaaaay easier now that I know how to do it and it behaves appropriately.
I'd attach the file, but it is too large.

Thank again everyone for your help.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

_OZ_ wrote:Even with all of the inefficiencies, the STL printed with zero problems.
Well I'm a little surprised, but hey, if the job get done! :)

It's just that slicers (at least Slic3r which I was using) are usually not very tolerant of an STL file containing multiple intersecting meshes. Fusing all the components together ensure that you export a mesh that consists of a single manifold (often dubbed "watertight") volume.
_OZ_ wrote:I took your advice and made the part as you describe. Waaaaay easier now that I know how to do it and it behaves appropriately.
I'm glad you did. :) FreeCAD (like most CAD programs to be honest) has many tools that are very useful to speed up modeling. The trick is to learn of them! So don't hesitate to ask questions here, there are a few regular here to provide insight about the software.
_OZ_ wrote:I'd attach the file, but it is too large.
The forum limits attachments to 512KB, a sufficient value for most models posted here, but it's true that a moderately complex model will quickly grow bigger.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

in 0.16 I can't even save it and get the following.
This happens because you still must have opened the file with e.g. 7-zip which then blocks the file for writing it from FreeCAD.