FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
NormandC

Re: FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

bernhardb wrote:OS: "openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)"

Thanks.

bernhardb wrote:There is for OpenSuse a build of the 0.17-tree available (2017-01-29), but it seems, that this build is not quite compatible with my quite old linux distro, so I switched to the appimage.

So that explains why you're not using the packman FreeCAD-0.16.99 package.

According to Wikipedia, your version reached end of life on January 17, 2017. You should think about upgrading to a supported version...

Well I'm pleased that the AppImage seems to work on OpenSUSE! It's based on the Ubuntu daily PPA.
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:38 pm

NormandC wrote:It would be really nice to "import" a linked copy of an existing body into a new body to either use as base solid or a "3D shapebinder".
Draft Clone is your friend. Clone a body, then base a new body on the clone (select clone and hit "new body".

Shapebinders have built-in support for 3d, but they can't be used to cut or fuse up to your shape. I'm in process of adding AdditiveShape/SubtractiveShape features for integration into PartDesign, in Part-o-magic. You may be interested to try them.

EDIT: I need to clean up this thread, it's getting out of control...
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:49 pm

DeepSOIC wrote:Draft Clone is your friend. Clone a body, then base a new body on the clone (select clone and hit "new body".

Thanks, but I was kind of trying to avoid leaving the PD workbench... I guess it's unavoidable for now.
JPL

Postby JPL » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

Hey Highly-Respected Dev Team,

What is the status of v0.17 and its renewed Part Design ?
For people learning today without heavy constraints, would you recommend to learn directly on the beta or to keep on the old stuff, even if replaced in a few days / weeks / months?

Is there still a place for comments or suggestion ?

It appears to me that 3D-printing is bringing to CAD a bunch of highly motivated people, but with little or none mechanical knowledge and in many case, little or none "engineering spirit". The forum shows some recurring topics which, IMHO, might be disappearing with some GUI minor changes (I did myself commit some of those YAUP -- Yet Another Useless Posts).

The solution to feed people with Tutorials is good, but how many people are giving up at this step ?

Can newbies help to make the very first step in FreeCAD easier for non-professional ?

Please, read above as a great appreciation of the dedication of this community and an offer to provide my little stone to this fascinating monument !

Jean-Philippe