FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
NormandC

Re: FC v0.17dev: Part Design Next Usecases and Best practices

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

bernhardb wrote:OS: "openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)"

Thanks.

bernhardb wrote:There is for OpenSuse a build of the 0.17-tree available (2017-01-29), but it seems, that this build is not quite compatible with my quite old linux distro, so I switched to the appimage.

So that explains why you're not using the packman FreeCAD-0.16.99 package.

According to Wikipedia, your version reached end of life on January 17, 2017. You should think about upgrading to a supported version...

Well I'm pleased that the AppImage seems to work on OpenSUSE! It's based on the Ubuntu daily PPA.
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:38 pm

NormandC wrote:It would be really nice to "import" a linked copy of an existing body into a new body to either use as base solid or a "3D shapebinder".
Draft Clone is your friend. Clone a body, then base a new body on the clone (select clone and hit "new body".

Shapebinders have built-in support for 3d, but they can't be used to cut or fuse up to your shape. I'm in process of adding AdditiveShape/SubtractiveShape features for integration into PartDesign, in Part-o-magic. You may be interested to try them.

EDIT: I need to clean up this thread, it's getting out of control...
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:49 pm

DeepSOIC wrote:Draft Clone is your friend. Clone a body, then base a new body on the clone (select clone and hit "new body".

Thanks, but I was kind of trying to avoid leaving the PD workbench... I guess it's unavoidable for now.