Cannot polar pattern about non-normal axis (0.16)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JulianStirling

Cannot polar pattern about non-normal axis (0.16)

Post by JulianStirling »

Hi,

I am trying to create a polar pattern with holes drilled into the side face of an annulus. I have the first hole/pocket and I can select to either revolve it about its normal axis or I can "select reference". The issue is the axis I need is not the normal axis, and "select reference" allows me to click on edges but I have no axes to select.
The online help (http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ndard_axis) shows the option to select any axis via radio buttons but I think this is an old version. Any ideas how I do this?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
quick61
Veteran

Re: Cannot polar pattern about non-normal axis (0.16)

Post by quick61 »

JulianStirling wrote:Hi,

I am trying to create a polar pattern with holes drilled into the side face of an annulus. I have the first hole/pocket and I can select to either revolve it about its normal axis or I can "select reference". The issue is the axis I need is not the normal axis, and "select reference" allows me to click on edges but I have no axes to select.
The online help (http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ndard_axis) shows the option to select any axis via radio buttons but I think this is an old version. Any ideas how I do this?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Hello JulianStirling, Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

Yes, that image is from 19 August 2012. That should be updated. For whatever reason it was removed and nothing like it has been available until the new part design in 0.17 development versions. With your version, what you need to do is create a small "helper Pad" that will have an edge on the axis you want your polar pattern on before you create the feature that is to be polar patterned. That is to say you create a Pad, then a small helper Pad where the polar axis is desired to be, then you create a pocket or pad feature that your wanting to polar pattern. now you can polar pattern the Pocket or Pad feature and select the edge from the helper pad as it's axis. After your done with the helper pad, just Pocket it away.

A bit of a PITA, but once your used to it, not that bad, just takes a little forethought. Let us know if you need any further explanation.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
JulianStirling

Post by JulianStirling »

Hi Mark

Thanks for the tip, it worked perfectly. I had to re-do a few things to get the helper pad/pocket in place. But after that it all worked.

Part complete!
VacRing.png
VacRing.png (49.75 KiB) Viewed 933 times
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Your welcome. As noted, the 0.17 development snapshots have a nicely expanded dialog that eliminates having to jump through that helper Pad hoop.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?