Testing TechDraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Testing TechDraw

Post by wandererfan »

ulrich1a wrote:I got missing dimension objects in the treeview at making a dimension between two selected corner points. The missing tree objects are kind of existing, because you get them sometimes at selecting other drawing objects in the tree.
I thought I had seen this lately, but I couldn't get it to happen on purpose, so then I thought it was my imagination. Thanks for the test file.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ulrich1a wrote:I got missing dimension objects in the treeview at making a dimension between two selected corner points.
Should be fixed by git commit 7628089
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

wandererfan wrote:Should be fixed by git commit 7628089
Yes, it does work now.

Thanks,
Ulrich
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

There was in the German forum a request about angled sections. It turns out, that these are in principle doable, but some issues are coming up.

An angled section can be achieved by adjusting the vector "section normal". This works so far. What does not working properly is the following:
- The section symbol in the drawing view does not follow the change.
- The section dimensions are partly scaled by a factor. In the example all horizontal dimensions are scaled by sqrt(0.5). The vertical dimension is correct.
- There is an additional artifact on the right site of the section.

Ulrich
Attachments
schnitt.fcstd
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
angled_section.png
angled_section.png (119 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ulrich1a wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm There was in the German forum a request about angled sections. It turns out, that these are in principle doable, but some issues are coming up.
The current code is only intended to handle "Up/Down/Left/Right". If angles work at all, it is a happy accident. I plan to come back to it at some point and make it more general.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

I have seen dimensions decimals are driven by the global FreeCAD units... I think this is not easy to use because sometimes you want to set a custom number of decimals and now you are not able to... actually, you are not able to completely disable them because the minimum number of decimals are always 1 and there is no option to disable them...

Thanks
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

As an info:
I want to draw a reinforcement plan of a concrete beam with techdraw.
The rebars are produced with the new rebar-tools from arch-wb. If you want
to load an array of stirrup-rebars, techdraw needs minutes for loading (and
for every operation you will do on the entity).
The process extremely speeds up when you use arrays of Dwires (the base object
of the rebars) instead of the 3D-rebars. I can live with that...
reinforcment_plan.FCStd
(331.53 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Done with
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11740 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6b05302c2e70f191a2a5787f55c5b549155b9824
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
view1_reinforcment.JPG
view1_reinforcment.JPG (73.12 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is a lot of optimization possible here... Currently techdraw projects the whole tubular objects of the rebars, which is rather heavy geometry. But the rebars are already capable of outputting a wire version of themselves. Indeed I guess using this in TechDraw would speed things up a lot.

But currently the rebar has only one shape, the full, tubular one. the wire representation is stored in a python attribute (rebar.Proxy.wires) and as a display mode. So it's not usable by any of the current TechDraw tools.

I see two possible ways to solve this:

1) We add a new special TechDraw tool that is half C++ half python, same as ArchView and DraftView (there would be a "RebarView" added). Or, easier, I could simply extend DraftView so it shows rebars as wires... Easy fix. In fact I'll already implement that now... git commit bcff2ab97

2) We add a property to the Rebar object itself (not the view provider) that can switch between full (tubular) shape and wireframe. That would allow any TechDraw tool to see (and represent) the rebar as a wireframe. But I find that a bit risky because it would change the internal shape of the rebar, remove its faces, etc, and so make it highly volatile, which might break any geometry that depends on it (although I don't see a lot of use cases where you would attach geometry on rebars...)
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

Just started using TD today. Mostly loving it. Its heaps better than drawing dimension workbench.

One really pressing question. How do I make the text in my custom template editable in TD?
The template I painstakingly edited to be editable in drawing dimensions is not editable in tech draw....
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Mongrel_Shark wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 amThe template I painstakingly edited to be editable in drawing dimensions is not editable in tech draw....
Both Drawing and TechDraw use the same system to make texts editable:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Drawing_Template_HowTo