Bunch of issues/questions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
microelly2
Veteran

Re: Bunch of issues/questions

Post by microelly2 »

The trick is to change the working plane in Draft during drawing a polyline. I think this will be possible in the future by use of the shortcut tool of triplus.
At the moment it is not comfortable to switch between "draw mode" and "change workplane"
efyx

Post by efyx »

microelly2 wrote:The trick is to change the working plane in Draft during drawing a polyline.
Exactly! ..and not breaking drawing chain.
efyx

Post by efyx »

13) Is there any structural module in plannes? I know there is tool in Arch workbench, but it is really hard to perform (and manipulate) steel frames.

It would be cool to have such tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqnXosw6K-8
the principle of operation is simple:
a) creating solid body;
b) remove all faces and left only wires (as a route for lofts);
c) then choose type of section and put it on wires (selection of point of start (center, edge, corner));
d) extend it on wires;
e) choose connection type;

what do you think?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

A lot of work has already been done in the past for such use cases and a lot of it is still in the process of development:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17431#p137410
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16155#p127907
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17154

In addition in Part WB a collection of Join tools was added and they can be used in such use cases.
microelly2 wrote:The trick is to change the working plane in Draft during drawing a polyline. I think this will be possible in the future by use of the shortcut tool of triplus.
At the moment it is not comfortable to switch between "draw mode" and "change workplane"
One possible solution in the future would be something like @DeepSOIC suggested for sketcher:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17609#p138735

That is there needs to be separate commands available to change to each plane. After that will happen ShortCuts/PieMenu support should work.
efyx

Post by efyx »

I know there is something like flamingo https://github.com/oddtopus/flamingo but I have no idea how it works. I am trying to set beams on a square sketch but they aligning (and rotating) randomly. Is there any video tutorial about that?
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Hello.

On the page you linked in the Frame where all the files are listed, did you notice that the last three files are PDF-files ?

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
efyx

Post by efyx »

14) Because most operations in sketch are made on points (unfortunately) and they are very small and it is hard to point on them so:
a) could be a snap option;
b) points could be bigger;
c) coursor when pressing button for example "ctrl" would be bigger and had bigger area of selecting;
d) bigger cursor and when pressing e.g. "ctrl" and then it will snap.
efyx

Post by efyx »

15) Part design next when having two e.g. circles when padding there should be option to choose region of pad to get as below:
Attachments
extrude.png
extrude.png (68.87 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @efyx.

14 came up frequently in the past and it was already implemented (or at least partially):

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16275

15 already implemented (Part XOR):

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16811

P.S. Therefore try to keep up please. ;)
efyx

Post by efyx »

triplus wrote: 14 came up frequently in the past and it was already implemented (or at least partially)
OK, works but my idea IMO is different (dynamic change of a pick of cursor), because when you are zoom out you will have problem to pick up precizly point you want - but of course it just an idea.
triplus wrote: 15 already implemented (Part XOR):
Not exactly, as I understand correctly you need to extrude one cricle first, then second and then boolean operation. Many operations. Would be perfect to do that while extruding.