Placement of object on the reference plane?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
iXod

Placement of object on the reference plane?

Post by iXod »

Note how the reference plane intersects the object halfway up the sides. How do I re-orient this object so that it is resting "on" the plane and not intersecting it?

Is this default behavior? Or must I have done something that resulted in this location?

Thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 5.25.38 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 5.25.38 PM.jpg (96.84 KiB) Viewed 624 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Placement of object on the reference plane?

Post by jmaustpc »

iXod wrote: Is this default behavior? Or must I have done something that resulted in this location?
Hi, not much information for a proper answer, but it looks like user error.

Please provide FreeCAD version data, the Help Forum Rules link above will show you how to do this, please also attach the FreeCAD file, what workbench and tools did you use to create the rectangular cuboid? It is possible to Pad in two directions or symetric to plane in PartDesign WB, perhaps you did one of those on a rectangular sketch? Are you talking about FreeCAD 0.16?
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Placement of object on the reference plane?

Post by NormandC »

It looks like a sketch grid. I don't know why, but sometimes I open files on the forum that show the grid for one or more sketches. There is a property in the Data tab to make it visible outside of sketch editing mode, by default it should not be so it seems to me you made it visible by changing the parameter.

I really, really can't understand why someone might find this useful. It just gets in the way of the 3D view.

So no, it's not a reference plane for the part, it's a reference for the sketch used to build the part.