STL or STP as a 2d drawing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dammerel

STL or STP as a 2d drawing

Post by dammerel »

Hi all
FC info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7965 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c5b501b9d3ccb538f0a075a59be8dd0210c62ba9
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0

I have a STL file and I would like to make some 2d drawings/dims for my fabricator
is that poss ? when i try the pick the file i get the messsage in the attached screen sho
t
pic3.JPG
pic3.JPG (133.22 KiB) Viewed 3825 times

thanks Andrew
NormandC
Veteran

Re: STL or STP as a 2d drawing

Post by NormandC »

Hello Andrew,
dammerel wrote:I have a STL file and I would like to make some 2d drawings
The subject of your topic says "STL or STP". They are totally different types of objects.

A STP/STEP file is a true CAD format, but an STL is a polygon mesh for which FreeCAD has very limited editing features. A polygon mesh is *NOT* a CAD format and IMO should be avoided unless you have no other choice. In CAD, all a polygon mesh is good for is for export for rapid prototyping - it is really a garbage out format.

While it is possible to convert it into a shape or part that FreeCAD can work with (see FreeCAD and Mesh Import), you will find that for your specific use of creating drawing views and dimensioning them will be less than optimal (and that is an understatement). For example if your object seems to have a cylindrical surface, well it is not a real cylindrical surface but actually an approximation from many triangular faces. These triangles will all show up in the drawing views, and you will not be able to get a radius or diameter dimension since the top face of the cylinder will not really be a circle.

Unless your part is made of only straight faces with absolutely no rounded/curved surfaces, the drawing views will be a total mess.