How do i pad extra thickness to this area?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Edgecutter

Post by Edgecutter »

caliper47.5.FCStd
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

I want to add a 6.6mm feature to this area. Ideally I want to add some strength by joining the two thickened bosses by duplicating the outer edge symmetrically about the hole centres to form an joining web between the thicker bosses?

Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: How do i pad extra thickness to this area?

Post by Jee-Bee »

• Create new sketch.
  • move sketch to surface
  • duplicate geometry and make sketch
I added some thickness to your model. The sketch is not fully constraint... i didn't had the time to figure outh where.
Attachments
caliper47.5_ext.FCStd
(26.03 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Edgecutter

Post by Edgecutter »

Thank you. I have left the sketch under constrained for now just so I can continue to make minor changes
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

A more efficient method is to select the face on your solid before creating a new sketch. It will automatically map it to the solid, allowing you to create a pad that will be automatically fused to the solid, or a Part Design Pocket that will cut away material.
Edgecutter

Post by Edgecutter »

NormandC,I understand I can pad a new sketch to fuse more thickness. I am wondering if there is relatively simple method I can use to copy the outer edge of the existing face in this area and mirror it symmetrically to create the new closed sketch? Or do i have to manually re draw it? Jee Bee has somehow managed to use the existing outer edges although, I have yet to figure how he did it?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Edgecutter wrote:NormandC,I understand I can pad a new sketch to fuse more thickness. I am wondering if there is relatively simple method I can use to copy the outer edge of the existing face in this area and mirror it symmetrically to create the new closed sketch? Or do i have to manually re draw it? Jee Bee has somehow managed to use the existing outer edges although, I have yet to figure how he did it?
He used the external geometry tool - Sketcher External - to use the external vertex and center points as reference and points of constraint, though there is some conflicting geometry in the sketch.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Edgecutter wrote:I am wondering if there is relatively simple method I can use to copy the outer edge of the existing face in this area and mirror it symmetrically to create the new closed sketch? Or do i have to manually re draw it?
Sorry, I hadn't understood that part.

There is currently no quick and simple way to copy and mirror external geometry. There is a mirror tool in the Sketcher, but it does not work with external geometry. Linked external geometry acts as construction geometry in that it is discarded outside of the sketch editing mode. What Jee-Bee had to do is create "regular" geometry overlapping the external geometry.

Personally I don't like to have geometry overlapping each other. Which is why I'd suggest an alternate method: make your first Pad thicker, so it is equal to the overall thickness of your part; then rather than make a new Pad, create a Pocket that will take away the inverse region of the "boss".

Like Jee-Bee, I didn't add the small fillets in the corners. I prefer to add such details at the end as PartDesign (3D) features.
FC_Edgecutter_caliper_01.png
FC_Edgecutter_caliper_01.png (34.25 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
This alternate method has two advantages:
  • No overlapping geometry in the sketch
  • The outer faces are not split with a residual edge like with a Pad.
    FC_Edgecutter_caliper_02.png
    FC_Edgecutter_caliper_02.png (5.98 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Attachments
caliper47.5_normandc1.FCStd
(24.88 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Edgecutter

Post by Edgecutter »

Thank you NormandC and Jee-Bee you have both been most helpful. I can see I have much to learn! If you can point me to any specific tutorials that illustrate the techniques used this would be really useful.

Once again your help really appreciate
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Edgecutter wrote:If you can point me to any specific tutorials that illustrate the techniques used this would be really useful.
I think most complete information about the usage of FreeCAD can find in the manual.
The online version can be found here or if you prefer as pdf here