Join two Cylinders

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JAyThaRevo

Join two Cylinders

Post by JAyThaRevo »

I am a pretty big noob when it comes to CAD software, but willing to learn ;).

So I am making a model of an 20kV cable for a later FEM simulation. For that I created a bunch of cylinders which looks pretty good so far. But now I need to create a small hole on the side of the cable. By using logical operations I managed to combine and cut out the necessary parts. The only problem I am facing is, that the once single piece cylinder is now a two piece cylinder. I made a bunch of screenshots highlighting my problems. Especially on the last one you can see that I can only look through the first layer, but I need to look down all the way through to the most inner cylinder. So is there a way for me to join these cylinders again?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (5.26 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Unbenannt1.PNG
Unbenannt1.PNG (14.52 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG (19.74 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Unbenannt3.PNG
Unbenannt3.PNG (3.38 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Unbenannt4.PNG
Unbenannt4.PNG (1.33 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Join two Cylinders

Post by chrisb »

Did you pocket through all? Can you attach the model, possibly stripped down to show nothing more than the problem?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JAyThaRevo

Post by JAyThaRevo »

Thanks for the reply chris. I attached the model file. If you look at the small cylinder in the middle there, you will see that there are two of them. What I need is to join them together so I have only one, enabling me to look right at the center cylinder in the middle from the outside.
Attachments
model_simple_fault_1.FCStd
(104.16 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

The screenshots show correct what you designed in Freecad. The line you highlighted in sketch UNBEKANNT2 SHOWS the cylinder with a radius of 9 mm you fused with cylinder76. This tiny cylinder is a hole that goes from the center on one side through the cable.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can clone the small cylinder and subtract it from Zylinder004. To get an inner layer you could make a union of all these subcylinders Zylinder003-Zylinder075.

I know that it is embarrassing if you ask a question and you are overwhelmed with a complete redesign. But you might want to redesign at least the circle of 72 cylinders by using a polar array.
If possible, fuse the things together you want to keep. Fuse the things togehter you want to cut. And then make the cut.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JAyThaRevo

Post by JAyThaRevo »

Willem wrote:The screenshots show correct what you designed in Freecad. The line you highlighted in sketch UNBEKANNT2 SHOWS the cylinder with a radius of 9 mm you fused with cylinder76. This tiny cylinder is a hole that goes from the center on one side through the cable.
Exactly, but if you look at the last pic I posted I am not able to see down to the center conductor. From the outside I am only able to see through Cylinder002. Cylinder001 seems to ignore the cut and blocks the view.

@chris: Ok, I will look into polar arrays.

Thanks so far everyone!