Help needed to done some feature correctly

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shivmsit

Help needed to done some feature correctly

Post by shivmsit »

I am learning Freecad and designing this (please see attached file). I dont know how to do it correctly. I need to push face inside with equal wall thickness and one side should be slanted. I used chamfer to get a face slanted but it need at least 1 mm width from bottom face.
Can you please guide me or any other way to do it correctly?

Adding Freecad version info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
push_a face_inside.FCStd
(19.25 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Help needed to done some feature correctly

Post by chrisb »

You could use the Thickness command from Part Working Bench.
Besides:
- you should completely constrain your sketches
- you should use the "reversed" pad only if necessary, it is clearer.

If you would like to have the chamfer going right to the bottom you would have attached a sketch to the side of the small block and pocket all through,
Attachments
push_a face_inside.FCStd
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shivmsit

Post by shivmsit »

Thank you for your reply. I created another version where I used loft and thickness, but how can I get rid of rounded edges resulted from thickness tool?

Also, I created two sketches 5 mm distance apart on z-axis, one larger rectangle and another one smaller to used in loft process. Is there a way I can create coincident constraint for two point based on 2d space so that point can freely move in 3rd axis?

Thank you.
Attachments
design_v2.FCStd
(76.3 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thickness: use join type "intersection" instead of arc. Watch out: if you reopen the dialog it always shows the standard selection rather than the one you chose before. You can edit the parameters in the data tab below the tree.
shivmsit wrote:Also, I created two sketches 5 mm distance apart on z-axis, one larger rectangle and another one smaller to used in loft process. Is there a way I can create coincident constraint for two point based on 2d space so that point can freely move in 3rd axis?
In the current stable version 0.16 you cannot do that, but in the development version 0.17 it is possible. You may try that version but be aware that it has not yet reached the maturity of 0.16.
Often there are other ways than using loft to model your object. You may show us what you want to achieve (scanned handdrawing, ...) and we will try to help.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shivmsit

Post by shivmsit »

chrisb wrote:
Thickness: use join type "intersection" instead of arc. Watch out: if you reopen the dialog it always shows the standard selection rather than the one you chose before. You can edit the parameters in the data tab below the tree.
I am getting error if I choose "joint type" to intersection for loft :(

I do not have drawing. I am learning by re-creating design based on some stl file that I am using for 3d print. For your reference I am attaching screenshot and stl file. You can checkout original project at http://www.instructables.com/id/Otto-Bu ... Two-Hours/. This would be good learning experience to create and improve original design in Freecad.
Attachments
example.png
example.png (30.24 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Looking at the parts of the robot I cannot see a part similar to yours. Which one are you trying to model?
shivmsit

Post by shivmsit »

chrisb wrote:Looking at the parts of the robot I cannot see a part similar to yours. Which one are you trying to model?
I think they have updated the parts :P I tried to attach file but got an error "File too large". I am sharing it on drop box https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/506 ... leg_v2.stl.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Basically you have a cube with several cutouts an addons. And that is the way I would model it. Take a cube, hollow e.g. it with thickness, cut the holes with skecth and pocket, add your part at the inside (since you have it already) or construct it anew. Apply fillets or chamfers.
There are excellent tutorials on the website or video tutorials on youtube (e.g. search for bplrfe) which I recommend to work through! It helps learning to think like a 3d-modeler, and that's important.