Selection Handles get hidden

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dgm5555

Selection Handles get hidden

Post by dgm5555 »

Is there anyway of making handles of selected objects always visible even when it's behind/within another object. I often find there is no way to manipulating it via the mouse (only numerically which can be somewhat of a hassle.
Thanks
David
yorik
Founder

Re: Selection Handles get hidden

Post by yorik »

Not sure what you mean by handles? Can you maybe attach a screenshot?
dgm5555

Post by dgm5555 »

Handles = the green/pink arrows and white/yellow rings for translating and rotating objects (as per shot)
I've moved things around a little to partially expose them out the side of this one, but it would be ideal if they were superimposed on top of everything else
It's possible to make everything else transparent to expose them, but this can take ages hiding/unhiding things if there are lots or they aren't all in the same group.
Thanks
David
Attachments
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I see now. Indeed it's a problem. But all that part of moving objects in relation to each other might change soon, not sure how interessing it would be to change that now... Jürgen or Werner, any thought?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

True, that might be a problem. I think when transforming an object we should put all the stuff in an SoAnnotation node because then the whole object is drawn on top of all others. I have to play with this a bit...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The SoAnnotation draws the object on top but the handling doesn't work either because events are handled by objects that cover the hidden object. I have no good idea to solve this issue.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

How is that problem solved in other apps? Someone has an example?
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

This might be something that is left to the user to deal with. In UG I would just hit the wireframe render button and the whole scene would be drawn in wireframe mode and the dragger geometry would be visible. On a side note, I do think Freecad would benefit from a "global" wireframe or shade etc.. function instead of having to control the view mode of each object.

Maybe...we could get a bounding sphere of editing geometry and draggers. Derive circle then cylinder normal to view. interesect the scene geometry with this cylinder and: hide or wireframe render, or set transparent any geometry (and editing object itself) that is between the editing geometry and camera. This would all be done in coin so the intersection would have to be bounding boxes, but that is not a big deal. Then create a sensor on the camera and rerun this algorithm when the camera changes. This might be too time expensive, but perhaps this feature is toggled on or off by the user and no sensor. Or maybe keep the sensor and run algorithm after the camera has stopped moving after .1 seconds.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

tanderson69 wrote:I do think Freecad would benefit from a "global" wireframe or shade etc.. function instead of having to control the view mode of each object.
Yes I thought about that too already... Somehow have a global setting (disabled, or forcing one of the display modes), and each viewprovider would look at the global state before rendering its node.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorikvanhavre wrote:Somehow have a global setting (disabled, or forcing one of the display modes), and each viewprovider would look at the global state before rendering its node.
I think this could be accomplished with an override flag. http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Membres/Fran ... #id5447662