FreeCad to Mach3

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
homersimpson2

FreeCad to Mach3

Post by homersimpson2 »

Hello,

I am a new user of FreeCad. I have drawn a 3D mechanical part. I can export the .ast file but nothing for .dxf file (an error is displayed in FreeCad - too
long line (and incomplete) to be read in few seconds). I draw a single cylinder and no way to produce a .dxf again; so i guess it is not possible.
BUT, how can i use LazyCam (which accept .dxf files) which produce the Gcode for Mach3 ?

For people using machining with Mach3, how do you define your mechanical parts (FreeCad is great because it's free and have 3D design !) ?

An other issue: trying to export a PDF results in an error "not enough memory" (tried with version from march & may 2011 on 2 computers).

Thanks for help.
wmayer
Founder

Re: FreeCad to Mach3

Post by wmayer »

Hi Homer :),
I am a new user of FreeCad. I have drawn a 3D mechanical part. I can export the .ast file but nothing for .dxf file (an error is displayed in FreeCad - too
long line (and incomplete) to be read in few seconds). I draw a single cylinder and no way to produce a .dxf again; so i guess it is not possible.
BUT, how can i use LazyCam (which accept .dxf files) which produce the Gcode for Mach3 ?
I might be wrong but AFAIK we support DXF only for 2d stuff. Yorik is the guy who wrote the Draft workbench and its DXF export function. Maybe he can give you a more detailed answer. BTW, what is the error message you got?
An other issue: trying to export a PDF results in an error "not enough memory" (tried with version from march & may 2011 on 2 computers).
It seems that your machine runs out of memory. Internally we're using the Qt API where we first create an image and embed this image into the PDF output. So, as a workaround you can save an image from your document (see Tools > Save picture) and then use a 3rd party program like TeX/LaTeX to produce a PDF.

Taken from your other post:
Je peux fournir le projet mais je ne vois rien pour uploader le fichier.
You must be logged in to be allowed to upload files. The allowed file extensions are .jpg, .zip, tar.gz and .fcstd.
homersimpson2

Post by homersimpson2 »

Hello !

I have tried also to export CAD format (iges) with a simple 3D drawing and it fails ! (exception)
Also fails for other CAD format.
i have joined a screen copy.

So, now, i think FreeCad is not useful for me; it's great for drawing 3D (simple) but if i cannot export any CAD format it's crazy !!
What do you think about using T-Flex CAD student edition (it's not for commercial use) ?

Thanks for help.
Attachments
Export IGES exception
Export IGES exception
illustrated2.JPG (90.53 KiB) Viewed 7768 times
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

homersimpson2 wrote:Hello !

I have tried also to export CAD format (iges) with a simple 3D drawing and it fails ! (exception)
Hmm... You created solid I see. AFAIK IGES is not suitable to contain solids (it needs sufaces). Only STEP (*.stp, *.step) does it. It works fine.
homersimpson2 wrote: What do you think about using T-Flex CAD student edition (it's not for commercial use) ?
I (we?!) think absolutely nothing. T-Flex is commercial software, so please ask T-Flex company.
homersimpson2

Post by homersimpson2 »

So, there is no way to use any CAM software from a 3D design in FreeCAD ? The .ast file seems to be a proprietary file...

What are the possibilities from FreeCAD to produce mechanical design for milling ? what should i use ? Geberally CAM software uses DXF.

Does someone have an example of such design in FreeCad ?
kwahooo

Post by kwahooo »

I don't know why you're talking about AST. Which tool needs this format?
homersimpson2 wrote: What are the possibilities from FreeCAD to produce mechanical design for milling ? what should i use ? Geberally CAM software uses DXF.
DXF? I saw CNC tools with DXF support but it was only 2D contour support... If you need only 2D, libreCAD is very good tool for DXF.
For 3D you need STL (mesh) or STEP (solid). Maybe PyCAM or HeeksCNC will be useful.

You can also use one of many CAD converters.
As example:
1. I've opened FreeCAD fcstd http://ubuntuone.com/0PKb1kwOOzN4OZcB4ja8Ua file
2. Then I converted it to STEP
crankshaft.step.zip
(60.42 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
3. Now I can open STEP in a converter (I used trial http://www.3d-tool.de/english/cad-viewer-download.htm ) and convert to other formats...
3dtoolfromfreecad.jpg
3dtoolfromfreecad.jpg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 7757 times
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

OpenCasCade has problems exporting/importing files from path names with UTF8. This is in case STEP and IGES. So try export to c:\temp that will probably work...
Stop whining - start coding!
homersimpson2

Post by homersimpson2 »

Hello !

Thank you for your help.

Special thanks to jriegel who has find the solution for my problem - now i can export iges, step and stl - great !

I now try to draw for PCB engraving.