Select inner faces as FEM boundary

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: Select inner faces as FEM boundary

Post by bernd »

HoWil wrote:Is there maybe also a command for selecting a face/domain via coordinates or an intersecting box?
Have you tried Menue --> Edit --> Box Selection ?
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

bernd wrote:
HoWil wrote:Is there maybe also a command for selecting a face/domain via coordinates or an intersecting box?
Have you tried Menue --> Edit --> Box Selection ?
Thanks for the suggestion but 'Box Selection' selects the body named 'Body' and the solid called 'Sphere' (see also picture from the first post) and lists them in the selection view.

Does anyone know which command is used for 'Box Selection' and are there maybe some additional settings like 'select only faces', since there is no command listed in the 'Python console'.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

ickby wrote: use clipping planes. Go to View->clipping Plane and than simply select the inner face. However, as the plane settings open in the tasks panel and all clipping planes vanish on close it cannot be used parallel to annother open task. so this only works if it is enough to preselect a face before running a fem tool.
Oh yeah this would be really really usefull for FEM, to have the clipping plane in an separate dock widget. In all fem objects with reference shapes the clipping plane can not be used, although it is such a cool tool.
ickby wrote:It is a point on my neverending list to make the cpliping planes a own dock widget, but I dod not yet manage to find the time for it.
My FreeCAD TODO list has been started to never end too :shock: :mrgreen:
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

ickby wrote:Hello,
I think the only option you have is to use clipping planes. Go to View->clipping Plane and than simply select the inner face. However, as the plane settings open in the tasks panel and all clipping planes vanish on close it cannot be used parallel to annother open task. so this only works if it is enough to preselect a face before running a fem tool.
It is a point on my neverending list to make the cpliping planes a own dock widget, but I dod not yet manage to find the time for it.
Some questions from somebody who wants to get more insight into this topic to simply learn coding for FC:
So I assume that it is written in C++ and can not be easily used without the task panel, or am I wrong? If it would be accessible via python what would I have to do to make a macro out of it? Can I start a macro while I am using a face-selection-Task-dialog in FEM-WB?

Maybe a separate 'tool' for finding all elements including hided faces, solids, etc. below the cursor (perpendicular to the screen surface) and a dialog to choose/select from these found elements could help. I made a mockup to illustrate this idea.
Selection_of_hiden_objects_mod.png
Selection_of_hiden_objects_mod.png (127.59 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

related to the last topic on developers part of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19072
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

ickby wrote:Hello,

I think the only option you have is to use clipping planes. Go to View->clipping Plane and than simply select the inner face. However, as the plane settings open in the tasks panel and all clipping planes vanish on close it cannot be used parallel to annother open task. so this only works if it is enough to preselect a face before running a fem tool.
It is a point on my neverending list to make the cpliping planes a own dock widget, but I dod not yet manage to find the time for it.
Hi ickby,
Any progress on this? Would it help to write a feature request :D ?
BR,
HoWil