Boolean Fusion operation

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blj1884

Boolean Fusion operation

Post by blj1884 »

Hi,

I have been using FreeCAD 0.16up til yesterday for converting .stl files into solids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avVNfIswkMU) then editing them. For some reason starting today when I was trying to show someone how to do it at a makerspace the feature was registering as a Fusion, but acting like a subtraction. I tried modifying the same part again today and it does not work. I downloaded and reinstalled and still not working. Tried in 0.17 and same problem. Any idea of how this might be happening seemingly overnight? In the attached file is a a solid I converted, and a block I added in the Part menu, would someone mind seeing if this works on their FeedCAD 0.16and see if you can do a successful Boolean operation in the Part workbench using the union option?

Thanks, jlb
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (171.11 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (127.37 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (119.64 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
test.FCStd
(58.5 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Boolean Fusion operation

Post by NormandC »

Hi jlb,

1) This is a help request, it should have been posted in the "Help on using FreeCAD" forum, not in "Open discussion".

2) FreeCAD has nothing to do with this, your original STL file was almost certainly faulty. Did it display completely black in the 3D view? If it did, it means that the faces orientation was inverted inwards. To fix it before converting it to shape, you would go to the Mesh design workbench, select the mesh then go to the Meshes menu --> Flip normals.

Since your file only contains the converted solid, you can do the equivalent by going to the Part menu --> Reverse shapes.

Applying the Fusion on the "Solid (Rev)" object and the Cube will work as expected.
Attachments
test_fixed_normandc1.fcstd
(146.06 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
blj1884

Re: Boolean Fusion operation

Post by blj1884 »

NormandC,

Thank you for letting me know about the proper place to post this question. I will remember it for next time. You information was very helpful and appreciated.

Thanks Again,
Jason