Curved edge blade

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Ddawg747

Curved edge blade

Post by Ddawg747 »

I am somewhat new to freeCAD but i am trying to design a blade similar to a Bowie but i am having trouble with the curvature of the beveled edge. Any suggestions on how to do it?
Willem
Veteran

Re: Curved edge blade

Post by Willem »

Hi, welc0ome to the forum, My idea is draw in the part design workbench a lot of sections over the knife and with the loft function in the part workbench make the basic shape of the knife and refine the shape afterwards. Make separate designs for the knife and the handle. Info about the loft function is here http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... =Part_Loft. Personally I think this challenge is too difficult for a beginner and I would advice you to start with some tutorials

Here an example of a previous attempt to make a knife in freecad viewtopic.php?t=13510
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

We've covered this in the past, search the forum for words related to "knife" to find the topic.
Ddawg747

Post by Ddawg747 »

NormandC wrote:We've covered this in the past, search the forum for words related to "knife" to find the topic.
I did that but I couldn't find what i was looking for. but ill definitely look harder now. Thank you!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Ddawg747 wrote:I did that but I couldn't find what i was looking for.
I couldn't find it either... searched for "knife" and then again for "blade". Post back if you can't find it.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Sorry, maybe that was in the French forum then. But Willem posted a link to a different topic as relevant as the one I had in mind.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

NormandC wrote:Sorry, maybe that was in the French forum then.
No, it was here in the english forum and I remember reading it. Now I'm thinking it might have been a topic created by murdic, who was later banned from the forum.