Multiple Parts on a drawing sheet.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
davecoventry

Re: Multiple Parts on a drawing sheet.

Post by davecoventry »

Hi Willem,

I've been going over the Drawing that you've worked on (thanks very much for taking the time and effort!), but I'm not sure I understand what you did.

How did you combine the elements? How did you address all the errors?
~ Dave
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Chin up, Dave, things will get better.

in 0.17 TechDraw:
create a DrawingPage, set scale to 0.05
box select parts in 3D
press "create multiview"
change view direction to (1,-1,1)
wait a bit
voila!
daveC.png
daveC.png (54.75 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
ps try a Compound instead of Fusion. They seem to be more forgiving.

wf
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

This model looks like a weldment. A weldment is an assembly of parts welded together.

You do not want to apply a Boolean Fusion on a weldment, because you need to make technical drawings of each of the parts separately. A fusion is to be used when you create a single part, like for example an engine block, a die-cast part, etc.

Since FreeCAD is still missing the Assembly workbench, a Part Compound (from the Part --> Make compound menu) can serve as way to create an assembly of parts. A compound is a container that holds multiple objects but does not fuse them.
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

@Wandererfan.

I'm genuinely exited by this software, although there are still a few rough edges and quirks.

For example, the attached screenshot shows what happens if I "Select All" in the Labels and Attributes tree. I can create a compound of the selected items and use the spacebar to toggle the visibility, but the remaining elements don't appear in the tree. If I use <SHIFT>B to select the object in the GUI I can create a compound of these objects and create a compound from the 2 compounds, but I'm not sure why some objects don't appear in the tree. It may have something to do with grouping of objects which I did when I copied, mirrored and move some items as a group.

But otherwise, it seems to be working really well.

@NormandC, thanks. The Compound option seems the way to go. I couldn't find the option at first, but it's in the "Part" menu.
ss-partialslection.png
ss-partialslection.png (133.59 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
~ Dave
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

davecoventry wrote: It may have something to do with grouping of objects which I did when I copied, mirrored and move some items as a group.
I would guess so, strange stuff sometimes happen with Groups...

In 0.17, the PartDesign workbench introduces two new container types, "Body" which is exclusive to PartDesign and groups all PartDesign features for a part under itself, and "Part" which can group bodies and any type of FreeCAD object. "Part" will be great to manage assemblies, I'd say it will advantageously replace compounds as well as groups.
davecoventry wrote:@NormandC, thanks. The Compound option seems the way to go. I couldn't find the option at first, but it's in the "Part" menu.
I did mention the menu entry in my previous reply.
NormandC wrote:Since FreeCAD is still missing the Assembly workbench, a Part Compound (from the Part --> Make compound menu) can serve as way to create an assembly of parts.