Fillet problem

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Rich21044

Fillet problem

Post by Rich21044 »

I've been using freecad to design simple things with my 3d printer since September but have on occasion come across a problem with fillets that fail or produce weird results. Sometimes I just live without the fillet others I have managed to take a different approach in the workflow (and I guess not being CAD trained this is the basis of the problem)
Essentially I'm trying to create a cylinder that is cut by a rotated cube and then fillet the edge that is formed across the top face of the cylinder. My workflow is this.. working in Part ..create a cylinder and dimension it...create a cube dimension it and position it... perform the cut...select the edge and then apply a fillet. Instead of the expected result (a solid) I get the top (filleted) and bottom faces but no solid and I cant work out why

Here is the file and FreeCad about info, grateful for any help

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
HelpMe.FCStd
(12.26 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
bejant
Veteran

Re: Fillet problem

Post by bejant »

Hi Rich, and welcome! It looks like the seam of the cylinder is in just the right place to cause problems. To fix it, select "Cylinder" from the history tree, from the Data tab (lower left corner of the FreeCAD window by default), click the anywhere in the Property > Placement field so that the button with 3 little dots appears (this image is from a previous post, so the history tree is different than in your model):
Click that button to open the Placement widget, and in the Rotation area select Rotation axis with angle and select the Z axis if they are not selected by default. Change the Z value to 90 degrees and click the Ok button. That fixed it for me, and choosing -90 degrees for the Rotation value instead of + 90 degrees caused the Fillet to be around the top edge instead of across the edge of the top and sloped faces of the cut cylinder.
Rich21044

Post by Rich21044 »

Brilliant Thanks that worked. I would never have worked that one out.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

You're welcome; it's handy to keep in mind that that seams can cause problems.