Problem selecting vertices

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brjhaverkamp

Problem selecting vertices

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hello all,

This might be very silly question.
For a long time I have been bothered by the fact that sometimes I find it really hard to select the vertices of an sketch.
For instance after drawing a rectangle. Somehow the red dot is hidden behind the two lines connected to the vertex.

This morning it finally dawned upon me that I was looking at the sketch from the back..
Is it possible to make this side independent? or flip the orientation of the sketch?
Or is Is it just me and my silly workflow.

Regards,

Bert
Attachments
front of sketch.png
front of sketch.png (166.23 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
back of sketch.png
back of sketch.png (171.44 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Problem selecting vertices

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
brjhaverkamp wrote:I was looking at the sketch from the back.. Is it possible to make this side independent?
No.

brjhaverkamp wrote:or flip the orientation of the sketch?
It depends. If you map a sketch to a face, and you are using v0.16, the only way to filp the sketch is to flip the face it is attached to. In 0.17, you can flip the sketch by changing "MapReversed", or "superPlacement" properties.

If the sketch is free-standing, there is a checkbox to flip orientation in sketch creation dialog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can change the view while editing the sketch with the appropriate icons, e.g. set to front view or set to top view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

brjhaverkamp wrote:For instance after drawing a rectangle. Somehow the red dot is hidden behind the two lines connected to the vertex.

This morning it finally dawned upon me that I was looking at the sketch from the back..
To look at your Sketch from the "front" while in Sketcher, this button is handy:
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Thanks for the replies. and thanks for the confirmations.
I'm looking forward to this feature in 0.17. DeopSOIC!
I also saw several other nice enhancements coming up in that one.
Where can I find the status of the new release? It is not in feature freeze yet, right?

Bert
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

brjhaverkamp wrote:Where can I find the status of the new release?
Look here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

FreeCAD 0.16 and 0.17 can co-exist on your computer.
brjhaverkamp wrote:It is not in feature freeze yet, right?
0.16 is frozen but 0.17 can change daily.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Here's a tip: you can select a vertex by box selection with the mouse. (Just left-click and hold then drag over the area of the vertex then release the left mouse button)
brjhaverkamp wrote:Where can I find the status of the new release? It is not in feature freeze yet, right?
Unfortunately, not by a long shot.

See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19979

There have been quite disruptive changes added to the PartDesign workbench after the 0.16.670x release. There are many bugs, some tools need some streamlining, and there may yet be more significant changes to come. Unfortunately, AFAIK there is currently a single developer working on this workbench.

As a result, we may not see a 0.17 release in 2017... But hopefully I'm being overly pessimistic.