TechDraw - projections (Arch WB)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cram

TechDraw - projections (Arch WB)

Post by cram »

I keep saying it I'm a total noob to all this, but hopefully someone can advise on this.

I have a drawing done in arch, using structure, panels with some arrays and fusions. How do I go about getting 3d projections in TechDraw?

I firstly all parts so they were one and a 'shell' was created but I get an error when selecting that and using Techdraw projection after creating drawing page.

Also if you don't want something to be displayed in the projections, is it just a matter of toggling the visibility off for that item first before projection? ie if I want to not show wall cladding and just the frame within a stud wall?
Last edited by r-frank on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added workbench info
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: TechDraw - projections (Arch WB)

Post by wandererfan »

I am woefully ignorant about Arch. We'll have to wait for @yorik for a definitive answer on this. I've added "Arch WB" to the title to catch his eye.

In general, if something has a "Shape" attribute, TechDraw can display it.

3D visibility does not affect TechDraw. If the 3D "sub-object" is part of the selected "Part", it will get drawn.

What did your error message say? Can you post your FCSTD file?

wf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

cram wrote:I have a drawing done in arch, using structure, panels with some arrays and fusions. How do I go about getting 3d projections in TechDraw?
You should usually use Draft Drawing command for that.
Last edited by r-frank on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added workbench info
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

triplus wrote:You should usually use Draft Drawing command for that.
Pretty sure Draft_Drawing only supports DrawingWB, not TechDrawWB.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Here is an example of your corrugated panel from another post http://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewtop ... =3&t=19635. It's slow to draw with all those lines having to check for hidden or visible, but it renders eventually.
corrPanel.png
corrPanel.png (23.28 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
wf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

wandererfan wrote:
triplus wrote:You should usually use Draft Drawing command for that.
Pretty sure Draft_Drawing only supports DrawingWB, not TechDrawWB.
Yes you are correct. For TechDraw new command was added instead to TechDraw:

TechDraw NewDraft
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wandererfan wrote: I've added "Arch WB" to the title to catch his eye.
Good job :)

Basically you have two paths:
1) join all the objects in a Part Fusion or in a Part Compound, then use a standard TechDraw View
2) create an Arch Section Plane, position it, then add all the objects (or groups containing the objects) you want to be seen by the section plane to it, using the Arch Add button (or double-click the section plane in the tree), then use a TechDraw Arch View on the section plane
cram

Post by cram »

Thank you wandererfan and Thank you Yorik. You guys are awesome.

So I did create a fusion, and used the 'insert 2D projections of a 3d part into active drawing' and it worked. Took a very, very long time to do though. Just clicking on each of the projection it probably took 20-30 minutes for it to process, before clicking on 'okay' to perform the projection, which has taken approximately 12hours.

My question now is, I chose to scale to page, and used the 'insert default drawing page' before starting any of the projection work. However my page is like a speck in size compare to my projections. ie They are not contained within the page at all. How do a resolve this or what should I have done to begin with?

Here is the projected file https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3fWu ... GNqLWhIV1k

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9586 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 0e2cf2ebcaaa50723de608cf030af740cb6ad548
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

cram wrote:on each of the projection it probably took 20-30 minutes for it to process, before clicking on 'okay' to perform the projection, which has taken approximately 12hours.
Wow that's way too much. I'm trying to open you file now, but it seems to take forever. Note that the fusion is computation-intensive, while using Part Compound is not. A compound is just a bunch of shapes gathered under a single one, there is no boolean operation involved. Maybe that can help speeding things up? Usually making views of large compounds is reasonably fast...
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

cram wrote:Thank you wandererfan and Thank you Yorik.

You are most welcome.

I finally got your file open, and deleted all the drawing related stuff. It is still a very slow beast: 5-10 minutes between mouse clicks or property changes. Then it went to 100% CPU and 3Gb of memory and I killed it.
I chose to scale to page
Your drawing is scaled 1:1, and it is more than 3m x 3M. No surprise it doesn't fit on an A4 sheet. ;)
The "Page" option for scaling means "use the same scale as is set in the Page". I think maybe you wanted "Automatic" which tries to fit everything onto 1 page. I used a Custom scale of "0.01" to make it fit.

+1 to @yorik's comment about Compound vs Fusion. I made this change and the model is much faster to load and use. Still beastly slow, but usable if you're determined. This version is still using 100% CPU, but only 0.5G memory. You would probably also gain by changing the smaller Fusions to Compounds.

There's a tremendous number of lines in the file and every one has to be checked to see if it is hidden by another line or face. So somewhere there's a loop executing at least (tremendous number) * (tremendous number) times. That's going to be slow. I changed some panel specs from a wave every 32mm to every 320mm and got another big speedup.

Maybe use hatching and only show the corrugation pattern in a small detail view?

wf