[Solved] Tech Draw - Hide "mm" behind dimensions - Add customizable extension line width

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nokian

[Solved] Tech Draw - Hide "mm" behind dimensions - Add customizable extension line width

Post by nokian »

1. Tech Draw would look cleaner to me, if one can choose to omit the "mm" behind each dimension.
2. An option to change the width of the extension lines would be useful.
3. This extension line should also be displayed by default.
4. Center-snap of a dimension value on the extension line

The extension line is the line between the arrows of a dimension.
What do you think of these ideas?
Last edited by nokian on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Tech Draw - Hide "mm" behind dimensions - Add customizable extension line width

Post by wandererfan »

nokian wrote:1. Tech Draw would look cleaner to me, if one can choose to omit the "mm" behind each dimension.
2. An option to change the width of the extension lines would be useful.
3. This extension line should also be displayed by default.
4. Center-snap of a dimension value on the extension line
What do you think of these ideas?
DimIssues.png
DimIssues.png (3.96 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
1) already done. see preferences tab 2.
2) you mean line weight? already done. see properties.
3) done for linear dimensions. Diameter sometimes overlays the text on top of the line. Have to fix that one day.
4) the value starts in the centre of the line (except for Radius leader). What do you mean by "Center-snap"?
That's not how I learned it, but that was many years ago.
DimTerm.jpeg
DimTerm.jpeg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
- From http://www.me.umn.edu/courses/me2011/ha ... orial.html

wf
nokian

Re: Tech Draw - Hide "mm" behind dimensions - Add customizable extension line width

Post by nokian »

Thanks for your work on this module.

Well, okay so I meant the dimension line. I use the 0.17.9508 (Git) version.
When there is no place for the dimension to fit between the real "extension lines" the dimension line is hidden partly.
I think there should be a line between the extension lines.

Have a look at the 1 mm dimension in this example: http://www.joshuanava.biz/engineering/i ... nsions.png

By "center-snap" I mean an area around the mid-position where the mouse pointer dragging the dimensions gets caught to the center. But that's not important.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

nokian wrote:When there is no place for the dimension to fit between the real "extension lines" the dimension line is hidden partly. I think there should be a line between the extension lines.
So you're saying the red bit should be part of the Dimension line in the "doesn't fit" case?
DimIssues2Red.png
DimIssues2Red.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
Is that an artistic suggestion or is that what the standards say? I don't' have ready access to a standards manual, but I've seen it done both ways.
nokian

Post by nokian »

Perfect, that's what I'm used to. I don't know if there is any ISO rule or similar thing.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

This may be from the ISO standard, but I don't think the interior of the extension lines is filled in ANSI standard. I'll check at work on Monday... if I don't forget it. :oops:

@wandererfan, I think at some point you may have to offer separate technical drawing standards to be chosen in the TechDraw preferences. ISO and ANSI are the most common, but there are others like JIS (Japan) and Russia has its own as well. The trick will be to get the full spec for each one...

For example, in ANSI I believe it's more common to see the dimension text in the middle of the dimension line (effectively breaking it in half - in fact, exactly like shown in your DimTerm.jpeg image) than over it.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote:@wandererfan, I think at some point you may have to offer separate technical drawing standards to be chosen in the TechDraw preferences. ISO and ANSI are the most common, but there are others like JIS (Japan) and Russia has its own as well. The trick will be to get the full spec for each one...
maybe not for 0.17? :lol:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wandererfan wrote:maybe not for 0.17? :lol:
Hey, I did say "at some point", which gives you some leeway. ;)

I will be ecstatic with TechDraw even if there is no improvement to it from now on until the official 0.17 release. :)
Marco_T

Post by Marco_T »

wandererfan wrote:
nokian wrote:When there is no place for the dimension to fit between the real "extension lines" the dimension line is hidden partly. I think there should be a line between the extension lines.
So you're saying the red bit should be part of the Dimension line in the "doesn't fit" case?
DimIssues2Red.png

Is that an artistic suggestion or is that what the standards say? I don't' have ready access to a standards manual, but I've seen it done both ways.
If useful search by google "bs iso 129-1".
There is a "good pdf"...
At point "5.6.3 Special positions of dimensional values " it says:
"b) dimensional values can be shown on a reference line, and attached to the dimension line by a leader line,
terminating on the dimension line that is too short for the dimensional value to be indicated in the usual
way between the extension lines (see Figure 25); "
Also look at Annex A for "Relations and dimensions of graphical symbols".

--
Marco_T
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

Marco was faster than me :)
from the same source, I add
a) dimensional values can be above the extension of the dimension line beyond one of the terminators, if
space is limited (see Figure 25);
Also, there are ANSI standards.

Renato