AutoCAD cross reference?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gaaah

AutoCAD cross reference?

Post by gaaah »

Hi, I'm considering FreeCAD as a replacement for AutoCAD 2000 (really can't afford it anymore). Can someone point me to a command cross-reference? For instance my immediate question is how to compose a drawing of other drawings like you can with AutoCAD's XREF command. Does FreeCAD have an analog?
bejant
Veteran

Re: AutoCAD cross reference?

Post by bejant »

Hi gaaah, and welcome here.
gaaah wrote:For instance my immediate question is how to compose a drawing of other drawings like you can with AutoCAD's XREF command. Does FreeCAD have an analog?
Not that I know of. For those who don't know (and IIRC) Xref references another drawing into the current document, and when that other file is updated externally it also updates in the current document when the current document is reopened.

I don't know of a FreeCAD <-> AutoCAD cross reference.
gaaah

Post by gaaah »

Yes you described XRef correctly but I'm not expecting an exact replacement. Certainly there is a way, for instance, to model a hex bolt as a separate drawing and then use that in multiple other drawings ---without having to "re-create the wheel" so to speak?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

At the moment, there is no such function "natively". But it is a fundamental concept of the assembly workbench, which is in development. The Assembly2 workbench, which you can install from the freecad addons repo ( https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons ) already implements the xref concept, not as completely as what will be done in assembly, but it works nicely already.

Also, if you use autocad mainly for 2D, there might be better options for you than FreeCAD, have a look at QCAD and LibreCAD...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi gaaah,
gaaah wrote:Hi, I'm considering FreeCAD as a replacement for AutoCAD 2000 (really can't afford it anymore).
If you already use AutoCAD 2000, how can you not afford it anymore? It's been long paid by now. ;)

FreeCAD is vastly different from AutoCAD. We're almost talking about a paradigm shift. So doing a cross reference is not very relevant IMO.
yorik wrote:Also, if you use autocad mainly for 2D, there might be better options for you than FreeCAD, have a look at QCAD and LibreCAD...
And if you don't really care all that much about open source, there's DraftSight, a 2D AutoCAD clone (free to use, registration required). BTW there are other AutoCAD clones that work in 3D and cost 10% of the price of an AutoCAD license. Have a look at BricsCAD.
gaaah

Post by gaaah »

Yes, I own AutoCAD 2K and will keep it. It's one of the last versions that isn't on a subscription model. It stopped running natively after Windows 7 or 8, and now under Windows 10 I'm running it OK in a VMWare VM. All of my work in the last 15 years has been 3d solids.

It's the parametric design features of FreeCAD that intrigued me. I think AutoCAD has them now too, but $$$$. Also a scripting language is a must and I'd love to learn Python.

OK I'll look a BricsCAD too. Thanks for the advice.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

BricsCAD has parametrics too, on top of a DWG-native file format as well as a GUI you're comfortable with (or at least very similar to it). But I think to get the parametrics, you need to go with the high-end version. Still, I believe it's about 1/5th of an AutoCAD license. They provide a fully functional 30-day demo.

On the other hand, FreeCAD also has much to offer while being free (free as in freedom, not as "free beer"), and does not require registration, subscription, nor agreeing to a dubious EULA. :roll: Just keep in mind though, that since FreeCAD is not developed commercially, but by a few passionate volunteers, it's not as polished as commercial apps, and does suffer from bugs, missing functionality...
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

gaaah wrote:Certainly there is a way, for instance, to model a hex bolt as a separate drawing and then use that in multiple other drawings ---without having to "re-create the wheel" so to speak?
Sure, we can File > Import a 3D model, but other 3D models (.step, .iges) are just dumb solids so if they change in an external file they don't update in FreeCAD (but the new version can be Imported).
gaaah wrote: All of my work in the last 15 years has been 3d solids.

It's the parametric design features of FreeCAD that intrigued me. I think AutoCAD has them now too, but $$$$.
FreeCAD might suit your needs for 3D work. You could also look at NanoCAD and ProgeCAD (AutoCAD clones) for 3D:
http://market.nanocad.com/
http://www.progecad.us/index.pl?id=5698 ... ry;op=show
They also have free 2D versions.
gaaah

Post by gaaah »

OK. Lots of homework to do. Thanks all.