Pipe loop with a closed dwire

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
simsiem

Pipe loop with a closed dwire

Post by simsiem »

Hi,

I want to create a rectangular closed pipe. Consequently I created a rectangular dwire, which is automatically closed. Then I pressed the Arch Pipe tool. Failed.

The Arch Pipe tool documentation says "The selected objects must be Part-based (Draft, Sketch, etc..) and contain one and only one open Wire". So yes, the failure is well-documented. In the consequence, I found two options.
  1. Make an open dwire with five points, where the first and the last point are at the same place. I tried it once. It felt pretty complicated, because the Draft dwire tool does not support this directly. Setting just the "closed" property to "false", removes one line. It is not a rectangular form any more.
  2. Create two lines, one dwire and one line. Make two pipes of them. Then make the connectors. This is even more complicated.
This is the use case. Now my questions.
  • What is the reason for the limitation to open wires?
  • "The selected objects [...] and contain one and only one open Wire". This sounds like I can create one pipe out of many base objects (but just one wire). I tried to use two lines. But the pipe tool creates two pipes not one. Is there a possibility to base a pipe on several (Draft) objects?
Thanks for your help

Simon