Shoelast

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Leatherman

Re: Shoelast

Post by Leatherman »

Hi,
nice one! :lol:
For the next step I think it's important to understand how to offset and adjust each single point. We would require the z axis for each point instead of one common height increase for all the points for further improvement. I think, this could work like this: The first layer would be as it is. For the second layer I would use the z axis for each point in comparison to the first layer where z was zero. For example point a) is z=+3 mm in the second layer. Next we could increase the height as before, like 5mm for all points in the second layer. Result: Point b) is z=5mm and a) z=8 mm on the same layer. you confirm that's possible, then I will see that I can work out something for the two offset layers.What do you think?
Regards
Andre
Last edited by Leatherman on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leatherman

Post by Leatherman »

microelly2 wrote:
Leatherman wrote:Hi,
well why you not try these points? :?: Let's see how it looks!
Regards
Andre
It looks like a shoe :)
(still an artifact near the heel but this is not a unsolvable problem)
That's fashion and not a flaw ;)
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Leatherman wrote:That's fashion and not a flaw ;)
Ups, I have already fixed it, so the last model will be become a valuable unicum :lol:
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

For the next step I think it's important to understand how to offset and adjust each single point. We would require the z axis for each point instead of one common height increase for all the points for further improvement. I think, this could work like this: The first layer would be as it is. For the second layer I would use the z axis for each point in comparison to the first layer where z was zero. For example point a) is z=+3 mm in the second layer. Next we could increase the height as before, like 5mm for all points in the second layer. Result: Point b) is z=5mm and a) z=8 mm on the same layer. you confirm that's possible, then I will see that I can work out something for the two offset layers.What do you think?
Regards
Andre
This will work but when I look at the seams of a shoe and my feeds, they follow another geometry.
What about describing the white curves displayed here
they hold the generic information about waist, instep and girth
the top and the heel of shoe may be designed an other way
but a model of these 3 (or 4) curves is easier/more intuitive to maintain. the customer can say where the shoe pushes to much and one of the curves can be changed.
It's the geometry which is influenced by the shoelace too.
The next step for me would be the heel/ankle geomerty
My idea is to use the curves of the sandal shown here
what do you think about such a "sandal grid"
Leatherman

Post by Leatherman »

Hello,
looks like I'm gone crazy today. I've posted this attachment in a different thread! Could you pls try the attached file. Let's see how it works. Pls have a look at your first image, the top line of the sole is what we need and this file is suppose to give us that.
regards
Andre
Attachments
xyzpoints1.txt
(195 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times
Leatherman

Post by Leatherman »

microelly2 wrote:
Regards
Andre
This will work but when I look at the seams of a shoe and my feeds, they follow another geometry.
What about describing the white curves displayed here
they hold the generic information about waist, instep and girth
the top and the heel of shoe may be designed an other way
it's obviously possible if you look at my latest image below. These are certainly two different solids. Never saw it like that with a real last.
but a model of these 3 (or 4) curves is easier/more intuitive to maintain. the customer can say where the shoe pushes to much and one of the curves can be changed.

Yes, you've got the principal idea. Practically only the instep and the girth of the joints have to be changed ( and the rest has to follow).
A foot could be flat, normal or strong = Instep measurement and it could be wide, normal or narrow = Joint. Each combination of these is possible. Example a foot could be flat and wide, etc.

It's the geometry which is influenced by the shoelace too.
No, not really, it's getting adjusted, same with the Velcro type.

The next step for me would be the heel/ankle geomerty
My idea is to use the curves of the sandal shown here
what do you think about such a "sandal grid"
I'm not sure if I understand you right, because I can't see anything much in a shoe. The most important part which you can see in your sandal is the top layer of the sole. Again this layer is suppose to be my points.file (from the shoe last), after that will follow the next layer, which we have considered up to now as basic, z=0, but it's not, it starts at the raised heel and ends at the raised toe, respectively these must have some values like z=15 or z=10 and yes, there is a point which touches z=0 this our "j1-j2" line. The sole helps us nothing, it has it's own design and follows the shoe last only.
Hope that make sense, somehow.
Attachments
lastdivisions3.png
lastdivisions3.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I have used your data with non zero z-Heights and
added my idea for the Footrest

If you install the new version of freecad from here
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases
you can test my script
to save space I put it to my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxc3i4gtdwwn6 ... le.py?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozbshdm6f0hp8 ... fcstd?dl=0

The footrest is defined by this data at the moment:
-32 88 15
-39 132 8
-43 163 0
-37 218 5

0 108 90
0 132 60
0 163 50
0 220 40

20 88 15
28 132 8
45 174 1
37 220 5
''
This are two curves on the sole and one curve on the x=0-line (with the heights of 4 points).
My idea is to add two more curves between these 3 curves to modify the surface (make it broader or asymmetric )
Attachments
bp_372.png
bp_372.png (80.91 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Leatherman

Post by Leatherman »

Hello,
thank you for the download link. I'm a little bit too tired now to understand fully your code. What I can say is that the green layers are now looking really good, especially in the side view :!:
I have to admit, that at the moment I'm not really understanding where the blue color stuff is leading to, but I will just watch and see, hopefully getting the point later. Apart from that, I really appreciate how much work and effort you put in here, hope it will work well at the end.
Regards
Andre
Leatherman

Post by Leatherman »

HI,
just have a look, this is how it looks. I've designed the upper over a last and once this creation is ready it will be combined with the sole.
What I feel, and may be I'm wrong, we are having sole and upper, but not the last. What do you think?
Regards
Andre
Attachments
170.JPG
170.JPG (53.05 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Leatherman wrote:HI,
just have a look, this is how it looks. I've designed the upper over a last and once this creation is ready it will be combined with the sole.
What I feel, and may be I'm wrong, we are having sole and upper, but not the last. What do you think?
Regards
Andre
The sole will be the green part
The upper will be the blue with some offset

What do you mean with "last"? The red foot?
between the foot and the parts there is only a offset, having the data for the ones we have the data for the other too.