SVG to Solid (newbie question)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: SVG to Solid (newbie question)

Post by renatorivo »

chrisb wrote:Mine is again different, perhaps due to OS difference:
same as mine, only I moved some segments
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Renato..
This is what the original DXF looks like on my system..
screen 2.JPG
screen 2.JPG (16.58 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Attached is the SVG as per the original image.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
outline.svg
(6 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Mark,

Your DXF imports all the arcs as splines. They are listed under a Group (folder) labeled "0".

Did you go through Inkscape to get this DXF? It would be best to import DXF files "untainted" by a pass through a vector graphics program such as Inkscape because in my experience it sometimes exports circles and arcs as Bézier curves or BSplines. This complicates things.
chrisb wrote:Mine is again different, perhaps due to OS difference:
No, it's probably due to different DXF import settings. There are quite many.

To load DXF preferences, the Draft workbench needs to be loaded first, because it manages DXF/DWG import. Since it's a python module, for any change to take effect you need to restart FreeCAD.

Mine are shown in the attached screen capture.
Attachments
FC016_DXF_Import-Export_Preferences_01.png
FC016_DXF_Import-Export_Preferences_01.png (161.55 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Hi Norman,
Thanks and following your advice I have imported directly into Freecad "untainted" and now have a file that only includes Lines and arcs.

In the draft workspace I have tried to "join" the lines and arc's but it seems to be behaving in an unpredictable way and for the life of me I can't get it to create a continuous line. Are there any steps I have missed out?

Thanks
Mark
Attachments
top bracket.FCStd
(42.85 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Mark,

The easiest and fasted method in my opinion is converting the Draft objects into a single Sketch.

From your file you can do that by selecting all objects; switching to the Draft workbench, click on the Image Draft Draft2Sketch tool.

Next, hide all the Draft objects and only keep the Sketch visible; switch to the Sketcher or PartDesign workbench; with the Sketch selected, go to either the Sketch or Part Design menu, and select "Validate sketch". In the Tasks panel, under "Missing coincidences", click on "Find"; a pop up dialog will tell you it found 45 missing coincident constraints; click OK, then in the Tasks panel, click on "Fix".

You now have a sketch that you can pad from the PartDesign Workbench. If you get a "Failed to validate face" error, it means there's a minute gap somewhere. Go back to the Validate sketch utility, and raise the tolerance value.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Hi Norman,

Thank you very much for your help and guidance. I know have a perfect 3D shape :D .