Validate Sketch Error?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
glb

Validate Sketch Error?

Post by glb »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

If I remove the constraints that validate suggests, then instead of 4 problems I have 22? Any help greatly appreciated.

Jerry
Attachments
rough.FCStd
(5.61 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Validate Sketch Error?

Post by NormandC »

I count 24 lines in the 3D view, but the Elements widget in the Tasks panel (at the bottom) lists 25. You have a redundant line somewhere that is overlapping another.

Also: sorry to tell you this, but your sketch is badly constrained. There are many useless construction lines, and too many dimensional constraints. You need to use equal length constraints more.

And since the profile is symmetric, sketching only half of it would massively reduce the number of constraints.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Here's your modified sketch, fully constrained, with a single construction line and a whole lot less dimensional constraints.

Can't say which line number was redundant, I never saw it in the 3D view and I deleted other stuff first. I just kept selecting lines in the Elements widget and deleted the one that would not be highlighted in the 3D view.
Attachments
rough_normandc1.FCStd
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
glb

Post by glb »

You have gone way beyond what I would have expected!! Clearly I am still learning and will look at your fixes very carefully to learn from your much appreciated help.

Can I buy you a beer? :-)

Jerry
glb

Post by glb »

Normandc,

Clearly you must be a professional CAD user. I can't believe how you simplified the drawing. I was concerned that when I sent it to be made that the fabricator's machine would not know that the part is symmetric so thought I would have to add info to both sides? FYI the part is to be used to connect two front panels on our baseboard heat in a custom bay window. :-) Each connector will be similar except for the angle. You have made it very simple to make that change! I still need to pad out the part and use the sheet metal benchmark to designate the bends.

Jerry
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Jerry,
glb wrote:Can I buy you a beer? :-)
Sure! :D
glb wrote:Clearly you must be a professional CAD user.
As a matter of fact I am. :) Been introduced to the constraint-based sketch and parametric design paradigm back in 1998 on Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2.0, although I didn't use it much back then and relied mostly on good ol' AutoCAD (can't stand it anymore :D ). I've been using parametric CAD daily in my line of work for almost 10 years now.

But it's mostly sticking around here on the forum that gave me a better understanding of what's going on under the hood of a CAD program. Being able to communicate directly with the program developers here is priceless.
glb wrote:I still need to pad out the part and use the sheet metal benchmark to designate the bends.
Sounds like fun! Designing sheet metal parts is a good part of my work.

Don't hesitate to get back if you have more questions, and once you get those connectors done, how about putting them on display in the Users showcase forum? We always like to see "FreeCAD to real life" projects. :)
glb

Post by glb »

Normadc,

You have been unbelievably kind and helpful.
I would like to buy you a nice bottle of wine or a case of beer, your choice. Is there some way I can send you the money to do so, e.g. paypal
or a check?

Jerry
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Jerry,

I thought you were kidding about the beer! :D I'm touched by your offer and I do appreciate your gesture. But I'm spending some (much :D ) of my free time here to help others, and it is my pleasure to do so. I don't need any more reward than the satisfaction of knowing I've been helpful and that you had a good experience with the software and the community. I believe in this open source project and it's my own way of helping it and giving back, since I'm not a programmer.

Thanks!!! and Cheers!

Norm