Revolving Bezier curves

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Gustav180

Revolving Bezier curves

Post by Gustav180 »

Hi

I am trying to draw a horn like a trumpeet, but I can not do the sweep. I have tested a lot of different ways, but failed.

In this drawing, I have drawn a Bezier line to do the shape. I test to do an offset of the Bezier line, but it will not work so I did a copy and connect the ends to a closed figure. Then I make wire and sketch.

But there is no sketch valid for revolving or anything else. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Horn sweep-1.FCStd
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
bejant
Veteran

Re: Revolving Bezier curves

Post by bejant »

Go to the Part WB (not PartDesign WB), select Wire from the history tree, and click the Revolve tool. If you want a solid tick the "Make Solid" box to True, or if you forget you can change the Property > Solid later from the Data tab.

Sketch is empty, there is nothing in it.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Let me add a bit to this:
Gustav180 wrote:But there is no sketch valid for revolving or anything else. What am I doing wrong?
In FreeCAD 0.16 Sketcher doesn't support Bezier curves (they were just added to Sketcher recently in 0.17), so if you created the Wire and then used the Draft WB > Bi-Directionally Convert tool, you'll end up with an empty Sketch. I'm guessing that's what you did? I'm also not sure that in 0.17 the Draft WB > Bi-Directionally Convert tool works with Bezier curves yet.
Gustav180

Post by Gustav180 »

Wow, it works. :D Thank you very much mr bejant. It is a bit confusig that same commands are in different wb or that some of them not will work, e.g. converting draft-wire to sketch.
Gustav180

Post by Gustav180 »

Wow, it works. :D Thank you very much mr bejant. It is a bit confusig that same commands are in different wb or that some of them not will work, e.g. converting draft-wire to sketch.