Editing Solids after CSG

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
silicontrip

Editing Solids after CSG

Post by silicontrip »

Hi Guys,
I'm wanting to know if it's possible to edit solids, either their exploded faces or edges after performing CSG operations on them.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

For some reason my FC file is over 1meg and cannot be attached here. Suggestions on how to optimise it for attaching would be appreciated.

Asset 2@2x.png
Asset 2@2x.png (29.77 KiB) Viewed 474 times
I'm trying to extend the point of the top face along the black horizontal line and the until it touches the (yellow) extension of the point of the sloping face.

The top face is a CSG cut of a loft of 2 cross sections and the sloping face is an extrusion of a face that was exploded from a solid which was made by a number of csg operations.

I'm trying to add a bevel to the top of a shape, however it's not a simple bevel as it's based on a loft. So I've been trying to build it using csg. The description of the object is very vague and based on a loft and all the dimensions are referenced back to that loft.

I am more of a coder than a CADder :-) so there may be a better way to build this object. But hacking at python for a solution doesn't scare me.

Thanks for reading.
Mark
bejant
Veteran

Re: Editing Solids after CSG

Post by bejant »

Hi silicontrip, and welcome. You could try the Draft WB > Trimex tool: