Moving groups of objects together

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Moving groups of objects together

Post by chrisb »

He probably used Part->Create simple copy. That is something you can do as well, but you loose all parametric properties.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tantle1961

Post by tantle1961 »

Perfect! Thank you, just what I wanted.
wabbalee

Post by wabbalee »

chrisb wrote:You can make a Part->Compound and move that. I have checked that it works, but I am not sure if it is appropriate usage.
wabbalee wrote:Then I am looking to move the lot in position via 'edit -> placement' I change some values, put a tick in the box, and applied it but no changes are happening.. which lead me here.
I guess you changed the placement of your Pads which has no effect. The Part Design objects are not standalone objects but rather features of their base: the underlying sketch.
So you have to move the sketches to the correct place.

Thank you chrisb, also for highlighting the fact that the sketch is the actual base of it, that is key info. The compound method seems to do the trick but I am also learning from this it best at this stage in the development of FreeCAD to draw everything into one drawing rather. I still have some 'debris' after I moved the springs into place which I deleted.

having said that, I am grateful to the developers for delivering such a good package: Thank You.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

tantle1961 wrote:I found a "shower" that was posted by "jmaustpc" back on June 24, 2012 that accomplishes exactly what I want but don't know how it is done. The shower object can be inserted into another drawing and moved around as a single object. I am attaching this object as I found it.
If you quote people properly, as explained in the forum rules, then the system notifies them so they see your post. By chance I did see your post in the other topic, but I could very easily have not seen it.

I am responding via a smartphone, hence I can't read the FreeCAD file.

I made that file 5 years ago so I only remember some details. FreeCAD has advanced by staggering amounts since then, actually when I first used FreeCAD it could only do booleans with a few basic solids and it had almost no GUI.

I made that shower for my house designs that I also posted at about that time, when Yorik first created and was developing the Arch WB.

If the object is from the PartDesign WB, then all placement is defined by the first sketch in that object's history. If made in another WB, e.g. Part WB, then all placements can be directly adjusted. In the next FreeCAD version 0.17 the PartDesign WB will be substantially rewritten and improved. It has a body feature and changed workflow. Early development versions are available for testing but should not be relied on for anything important.

Those old files like the shower, are Part WB .... "Create simple copy". Since the file size for the houses with furniture made FreeCAD unmanagably slow, I made the furniture in a different project file, keeping it parametric, the made a Part WB simple copy, then only added the simple copy to the house project file.

I likely only posted the simple copy file because of the reduction in file size, the file size limit wasn't as high back then as it is now.
tantle1961

Post by tantle1961 »

Thank you for the tips on forum rules. I am a new user and was not aware but I will read up on that so I can do it properly next time.
Some other users responded and I got it figured out.