Moving groups of objects together

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tantle1961

Moving groups of objects together

Post by tantle1961 »

I am trying to create a group of objects that can be moved together along one axis. In the attached drawing, I have created an elongated "cube" labeled "Corner cutout 1". The cylinder which is "cut out" of this cube is labeled "Cylinder 1". I thought that by selecting "Corner cutout 1" and adjusting one axis placement position such as x or y, the whole group of objects would move together. What I am experiencing is the "cube" moves alone without the cylinder. I thought by selecting all objects in the group and selecting "Add to group", I would be able to move all together. It does not appear to be working that way. My question is how can I move this as a "group"? This is a simple example. I have some more complicated groups that behave the same way.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
Bathtub.FCStd
(13.53 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Moving groups of objects together

Post by renatorivo »

You can use Spreadsheet_Workbench to create a binding between the positions.

Renato
wabbalee

Post by wabbalee »

Hi new user here, I would like to follow this thread as I have the same question, the spreadsheet answer by Renato makes little sense to me (sorry), I need more details, so for me, the question still remains.

my system:
Version: 0.17.10150 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 978978f7dd1814083d7b9c9fc4267dba25f58a80
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6

I am building a trailer for my Tiny House On Wheels. I have drawn the suspension for it and the trailer frame in 2 separate files. I am able to copy the suspension into the trailer drawing but it ends up on the corner of the trailer that way. Then I am looking to move the lot in position via 'edit -> placement' I change some values, put a tick in the box, and applied it but no changes are happening.. which lead me here.

Thanks for reading
Cheers Ron
Attachments
trailer.fcstd
(8.52 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
LeafSpring4.fcstd
(73.66 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can make a Part->Compound and move that. I have checked that it works, but I am not sure if it is appropriate usage.
wabbalee wrote:Then I am looking to move the lot in position via 'edit -> placement' I change some values, put a tick in the box, and applied it but no changes are happening.. which lead me here.
I guess you changed the placement of your Pads which has no effect. The Part Design objects are not standalone objects but rather features of their base: the underlying sketch.
So you have to move the sketches to the correct place.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wabbalee

Post by wabbalee »

Ok, it is late in my timezone (Brisbane, AU) now, but I will work with that in my morning and get back here. Thank You kindly, Ron.
tantle1961

Post by tantle1961 »

I isolated this part to a separate file. I used File->Merge Project from my larger project and selected the Joist Hanger. The part was added to my file, but when I select it and try to move the object, it only moves the top level cube. The hidden blocks used for the cutouts are not moved. Any ideas about "gluing" my Joist Hanger pieces together to act as one object? In reference to the earlier post about spreadsheets, I am not sure how I can use a spreadsheet to link this objects together.

Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Attachments
Joist Support.FCStd
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

When I change the placement of "2x6 TIE" of your attached file "Joist Support.FCStd" e.g. by setting X to 100mm the whole part moves. So I am afraid I am missing something since I cannot see your problem.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tantle1961

Post by tantle1961 »

I recorded an MP4 screen capture video to show what is happening but I guess the attachments won't allow it. What I was describing is this:

1) Selecting the "2x6 TIE" object and adjusting a coordinate does appear to move the entire object on screen.
2) Click a spot on the screen and the original block shows up without the cutouts
3) Select each cutout "2x6 tie lower block" and hit the space bar to make it visible
4) Do the same for the upper block
5) Now the 3 blocks show up separated
6) Now move the original "2x6 TIE" object back to the original location
7) Toggle the visibility for the upper and lower block off
8) The image now shows up as it originally did

What I want to do is "glue" all of these objects together and move them as one part
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can see the error now. I had changed in the placement dialog the X value and the object moved immediately. The error occurs when I click Ok. The whole object turns into a cube. Force_Recompute.py does not help.
tantle1961

Post by tantle1961 »

I found a "shower" that was posted by "jmaustpc" back on June 24, 2012 that accomplishes exactly what I want but don't know how it is done. The shower object can be inserted into another drawing and moved around as a single object. I am attaching this object as I found it.
Attachments
Shower_Stall.FCStd
(11.33 KiB) Downloaded 69 times