Loft and Fusing Parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
andrigtmiller

Loft and Fusing Parts

Post by andrigtmiller »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.Unknown
Build type: Unknown
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

I am trying to create a model with a radius rectangle that tapers down to a smaller radius rectangle between two other structures. Here is a picture of what I want it to look like:

[img]
Loft.png
Loft.png (43.74 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
[/img]

Now, this all looks correct, but the model has three parts, and I need to fuse them together, but as I discovered, you cannot fuse a loft, consider a shell, to a solid, so no amount of playing around with different techniques will make this come out as one part, unless I do something to somehow make the loft a solid.

In digging around on the forums I found someone trying to make their loft be 2mm thick, which is exactly what I want, in that I need the sides to be 2mm thick to match the two parts on either side, which are also 2mm thick.

In following the instructions, I made created another two sketches that were 2mm smaller than the original two sketches for the first loft. Then I made a secon loft. I made the first, and bigger loft (or outer) solid, and tried to do a cut between the two lofts, which is what the other forum post said to do. That doesn't work no matter which loft I make solid, or even both of them solid, a cut operation fails.

An intersection, with the outer loft being solid and the smaller inner loft not being solid sort of worked, but it doesn't have the 2mm thickness, and in fact it doesn't seem to have a thickness at all.

Unless, I can eventually make this into a solid, I certainly won't be able to fuse them into a single part.

I have also played around with making the different lofts ruled, closed, and the various combinations. I know there must be a way to do what I want, but I just cannot figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
HeaterCoreEnclosure.fcstd
(38.1 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
andrigtmiller

Re: Loft and Fusing Parts

Post by andrigtmiller »

Okay, sorry for the post, I just had another idea, with using a "cutout" between the inner and outer lofts, and that worked, and let me fuse the three parts together!

So, don't bother taking a look, I just got what I wanted.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, instead of a fusion you can also make a compound in the Part workbench
Schermafdruk van 2017-02-22 23-43-57.png
Schermafdruk van 2017-02-22 23-43-57.png (261.04 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

andrigtmiller wrote:I just had another idea, with using a "cutout" between the inner and outer lofts, and that worked, and let me fuse the three parts together!
That's still much more difficult than it needs to be. Here is the Dependency Graph for the model in your opening post:
20170222b.png
20170222b.png (54.13 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Instead I just edited and used your Sketches to create a solid of what would become the inside of the enclosure, selected the large end face and the two circular faces on the other side, then used the Part WB > Thickness tool to remove those faces and add 2 mm to the outside. It's a much simpler work flow:
20170222c.png
20170222c.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
20170222a-016-bejant-HeaterCoreEnclosure.fcstd
(53.43 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Blast! bejant was faster than me. :D

I'm posting anyway because I used a slightly different method, my thickness goes inward rather than outward.
andrigtmiller wrote:you cannot fuse a loft, consider a shell, to a solid, so no amount of playing around with different techniques will make this come out as one part, unless I do something to somehow make the loft a solid.
This is accomplished by ticking the "Solid" checkbox at Loft creation. After the loft is done, you can still change the parameter in the Data tab.

Here's an alternate method that requires a lot less work than you solution: build everything as a solid, and at the end use Part Thickness to hollow the solid out. Just be aware that this tool is tricky and not very robust; sometimes it fails for no apparent reason. Here it works beautifully though. :)

Also look at the sketches I reworked to centre them on the origin without having to use so many dimensional constraints. The trick is to use a symmetric constraint between two diagonally opposed point and the sketch origin point.
Willem wrote:Hi, instead of a fusion you can also make a compound in the Part workbench
A compound only groups separate solids together and does not really fuse them, which can be a problem for STL export, or if you need to apply further Booleans. It's not an appropriate use here.
Attachments
HeaterCoreEnclosure_normandc1.fcstd
(155.8 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

NormandC wrote:Blast! bejant was faster than me. :D
Had I known you were working on the model too I could have saved myself some time. We abandoned it, but maybe we should go back to using our informal protocol again?
For anyone who is wondering (or who forgot) what that is:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5628&p=45565
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Good idea.

I admit to not looking who was online first. :oops: I shouldn't even reply to help requests on the forum right now, as I'm trying to reanimate this project. But when I see anything posted in the Help section I can't help it. My real interest here is to help others learn/use FreeCAD, not packaging the software and its libraries... :|
andrigtmiller

Post by andrigtmiller »

Thanks for the replies. I am learning a lot, and I appreciate the hep in making things simpler.

Andrig