Designing a geodome from scratch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Spindoctor

Re: Designing a geodome from scratch

Post by Spindoctor »

@ NormanC:
Now I tried to do it with the "real" Assembly2 workflow (at least I think I did). It didn't make a difference: my computer is now calculating some constraint since about 45 minutes and I only have 5 triangles added to the base. I think the Assembly tool isn't suitable for this kind of operation...

@ ulrich1a:
Thanks for the link! This might get helpful for constructing a geo dome in real life. However, I have to admit that if I really dig into the math of the Kruschke geo dome I would rather construct it in OpenSCAD for reasons of easy parameterization. I hoped that I could get around the whole math stuff by using an online calculator and using those values in FreeCAD.

Does anybody have another idea? I guess I have to give this project up otherwise...
Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor »

here's the file...
Attachments
geodome constraints1.fcstd
(15.15 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

There exists a hidden version of the geodesic dome script. It contains the Kruschke-dome as default version. Have a look here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p125238

Ulrich
Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor »

Hello Ulrich!

Your Script is really awesome. Thank you for that!

As far as I see it seems you made your hands dirty and calculated angle and every length that is needed for the geodome within your script, right? So you also didn't find a trick to let FreeCad snap everything together for you?

Thank you once again!

Best,

Marcel
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

Spindoctor wrote:As far as I see it seems you made your hands dirty and calculated angle and every length that is needed for the geodome within your script, right?
Yes, for a geodesic dome as a mathematical object, this approach seems the most efficient for me. And it was made a year ago or so.

Ulrich
Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor »

Good job!

Thank you for your help. Maybe, if I somehow can generalise my problem I can make a feature request out of it...