scaling help

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
crossup

scaling help

Post by crossup »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

Have a simple object which I'd like to use for laser cutting. As best as I can determine, the object is scaled to be kilometers in size. Have no idea how to create in a usable scale yet but am hoping what I have can be scaled to the major diameter being 0.375 inch. [img]
Screen Shot 03-10-17 at 08.18 AM.PNG
Screen Shot 03-10-17 at 08.18 AM.PNG (265.26 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
[/img]
wheel.FCStd
(10.59 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: scaling help

Post by chrisb »

You can clone an object and the clone can be scaled. But I think you should rather use Part Design Workbench to model this there you can use equality constraints and other dependencies so that your model has correct size by construction and not by scaling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
crossup

Post by crossup »

thank you, I will try to figure that out.
crossup

Post by crossup »

As I thougth, the cure is worse than the issue, will try cloning. I never had any issues picking up Autocad years ago, perhaps I should find a pirated or demo copy and see if its still comprehensible.
crossup

Post by crossup »

After probably 6 hrs on this inability of mine to scale my object, I downloaded DraftSight and within 5 minutes have scaled it precisely and made my laser cut. FreeCad looks powerful but wont be much use until I can spend massive time with it just learning instead of trying to learn by using it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

crossup wrote:I never had any issues picking up Autocad years ago, perhaps I should find a pirated or demo copy and see if its still comprehensible.
Demo - yes, buying - yes, pirated - no, free - yes, free open source - YES!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi crossup, just wondering where and how your file originate?
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, Autocad and FreeCad are two different programs and it is hard to compare them. My advice is to follow some tutorials.
You can find them here:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_9HwD ... lFGkYBIH9g
https://www.gitbook.com/book/yorikvanha ... al/details

Your design can best be made in the Part design workbench. First make a sketch and later extrude (pad) it to a solid. Here is your wheel. It takes less then 10 minutes to make a design like this after you have done the tutorials
Schermafdruk van 2017-03-11 09-53-24.png
Schermafdruk van 2017-03-11 09-53-24.png (16.76 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Attachments
Wheel-Willem.FCStd
(16.56 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Perfect model Willem (I had hoped you didn't use polar pattern so I could shine with this idea :mrgreen: ).
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

crossup wrote:After probably 6 hrs on this inability of mine to scale my object, I downloaded DraftSight and within 5 minutes have scaled it precisely and made my laser cut. FreeCad looks powerful but wont be much use until I can spend massive time with it just learning instead of trying to learn by using it.
6 hours :shock:

Come on, Draft Clone and after 15 seconds top you were done. What exactly didn't work with that?

I wonder, if you didn't have prior AutoCAD experience, how long would it have taken you to scale your work (to others who may not know, DraftSight is an AutoCAD-clone). CAD is not easy to pick up without prior experience, and 3D parametric CAD is indeed a lot more complex. Hope you do go back to FreeCAD and give it another shot. :) (although for pure 2D work it could be considered a little overkill)
Willem wrote:My advice is to follow some tutorials.
+1