How to convert sketch into a face?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
eexpss

How to convert sketch into a face?

Post by eexpss »

I want revolve a face into a solid. As in https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Part_Revolve, I need a face not a sketch.

There has two Revolve function in Part and PartDesign (why has two revolve function?), one give me a tube, other give me an error. I had made a pad from the sketch, then revolve, also fail.
Attachments
t.png
t.png (47.74 KiB) Viewed 8248 times
bejant
Veteran

Re: How to convert sketch into a face?

Post by bejant »

eexpss wrote:There has two Revolve function in Part and PartDesign (why has two revolve function?),
Part WB can create faces and shells, and so you can Revolve a line segment.
Part Design WB > Revolution can only create a single solid, or add on to an existing solid.

Internally FreeCAD tries to create a face from your Sketch014, then moves the face through the 3D space to create a solid. If FreeCAD can't create a face from your Sketch014 before creating the Revolution, the operation fails and you see that error message in your screen grab.
eexpss wrote:one give me a tube, other give me an error
You probably have overlapping geometry in Sketch014, but you will need to upload your FreeCAD .fcstd file to the forum so that someone can look at it. If your complete file (document) is over the forum size limit, with that file open in FreeCAD you can create a new FreeCAD document (File > New), then copy Sketch014 into it, and upload the new FreeCAD document containing only Sketch014 instead.
Last edited by bejant on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

eexpss wrote:(why has two revolve function?)
Part tools can produce any kind of shape. For example, Part Revolve can produce surfaces.

PartDesign tools only produce solids. PartDesign is a higher level workbench based on Part. It has more advanced tools like Pocket and transformation features.
eexpss wrote:one give me a tube
Have you checked the "Make solid" option?
eexpss wrote:I had made a pad from the sketch, then revolve, also fail.
The error is self-explanatory. The profile cannot cross the revolution axis. Where is the vertical sketch axis located?

This would be much simpler if you provided your FreeCAD file, as explained in the Forum rules at the top of this forum.
eexpss

Post by eexpss »

I had copy relate part in the attach file.

I checked the "Make solid" option.

What is a face? sketch not a face. Pad not a face.

ps: I know it now. only one sketch can revolve. Here is two circle in Sketch014.
Attachments
tmp.fcstd
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Without your file I wouldn't have been able to guess what was wrong.

You have two different circles in your sketch. You can only have one. The Part Revolve tool should be able to generate two solids like Part Extrude would, I believe it's a bug that it does not.

As for PartDesign, it can only create a single solid. This is a design choice. So you can only have one closed profile, or one closed profile with one or many other closed profiles inside it.

In any case there is a more efficient method than doing two profiles at the same time. You can use Draft Array in polar mode to repeat a single revolution as many times as needed.
Attachments
tmp_normandc1.fcstd
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
eexpss

Post by eexpss »

Yes. But Array is hard to understand. I test many times, finally get it.
Attachments
选区_002.png
选区_002.png (89.48 KiB) Viewed 8215 times