Moving a sweep item

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Moving a sweep item

Post by NormandC »

No need to apologize. ;)
NormandC wrote:I think this is where the Part container from 0.17 would come handy.
I tested it after I posted my reply. I opened the file in 0.17-dev, switched to PartDesign then created a Part container. After that I selected all objects, and in the Model tree I drag&dropped them on the Part container. After that I could move the Part container any way I wished (by selecting it from the Model tree), using the Placement utility or Draft Move, and everything inside it followed without distortion.

"Part" may be a misnomer, because it reacts a lot like an assembly of parts would.

Unfortunately all the dependencies seem to get mangled after the drag&drop. Everything is listed on a single level with no element nested under another. I saved the document and reopened it, thinking it might get fixed by being reloaded, but there was no change. This might be a bug.

In any case, when 0.17 is officially released, it will be a much welcome improvement.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Maybe Part-o-magic(0.17, see Addon-manager and https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... rt+o+magic) is a solution.
I tested it with Dave's sweeps.fcstd and after putting everything into a Pom-Module-container you can place the complete container wherever you want. All elements inside the container are moved/placed together.
What I did not test to much until now is the behavior of the Pom-system itself..... hiding other containers if you enter one and so on.

BR,
HoWil
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

HoWil wrote:Maybe Part-o-magic(0.17, see Addon-manager and https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... rt+o+magic) is a solution.
What PoM does that the Part container doesn't in this specific case? As I said changing the Part placement doesn't affect the objects inside it, the only problem I saw is that the hierarchy in the Model tree was flattened down. What about PoM?

Another thing, both require 0.17-dev, which I am very hesitant to recommend at this point. One thing Dave didn't mention here but some of us know because we've followed his topics for a while is that this is a "real life" project. With the ongoing changes in 0.17 it might not be advisable to migrate to it yet.