Moving a sweep item

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
davecoventry

Moving a sweep item

Post by davecoventry »

If I move a Sweep object I find that the Dwire that it's based on is not moved which creates distortions in the object.

How do I make sure that the Sweep Object and the circle and wire objects which comprise it are moved together?
~ Dave
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Moving a sweep item

Post by chrisb »

You can make a compound and move that.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

davecoventry wrote:If I move a Sweep object I find that the Dwire that it's based on is not moved which creates distortions in the object.
This is incorrect as far as I know.

You can move any Part object without moving the objects they are based on, and the Part object won't be affected. I just tested with a Part Sweep to be sure.

Otherwise please provide an example file which exhibits the issue you're mentioning.
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

Model attached
sweeps.fcstd
(361.39 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
~ Dave
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you hide everything except e.g. Sweep001 you can see clearly that Normand is right: The Sweep is moved as a whole. Your Problem is perhaps that you have far too many things visible at the same time. My recommendation: hide everything and make only those objects visible again, which you really want to have.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

This is what's happening.

The pipes are moved but the Dwire elements and the circles comprising the object remain behind.

If the Dwire elements are moved it goes haywire.
Attachments
Screenshot2017-03-17154758.png
Screenshot2017-03-17154758.png (118.76 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
~ Dave
davecoventry

Post by davecoventry »

Screenshot of the dwire going haywire.
Attachments
Screenshot2017-03-17155155.png
Screenshot2017-03-17155155.png (114.8 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
~ Dave
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You shouldn't use the Draft-Move. Use the placement dialog instead. If you select an element in the tree you have the data tab below. There you select Placement and get a button with three dots. Click it and move your sweep there. If this is unclear, post back.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Dave,

In your first post you specifically said you wanted to move a Sweep object. Now you want to move everything, including the objects used to create the sweep (profiles and paths). That's a completely different thing.

I can now see the problem. Even with using the Edit --> Placement utility, by moving all the objects together the DWires become garbled.

But why do you want to move them? As I said, you only need move the end result, the original geometry can stay right where you created it.

I think this is where the Part container from 0.17 would come handy. A Part container can contain any type of objects (even meshes), and it has a single local coordinate system with a placement. You could create all the profiles, paths and sweeps under a Part container, then move the Part container where you want it to be and everything in the Part would follow without distortion. But considering the current state of 0.17's development I'm not sure I would recommend it for production work.
chrisb wrote:You can make a compound and move that.
The compound is a new shape. Moving the compound will not move the original objects it contains.

I know DWires are handy because of their fillet radius property, but if you absolutely require moving your sweep paths maybe you should have a look at sketches instead, I think they should be more robust when being moved.

EDIT: nope, tried it, sweeps based on sketches as paths also get garbled when everything is moved (paths, profiles and sweeps). :?
Attachments
sweeps_normandc1.fcstd
(182.35 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote:
chrisb wrote:You can make a compound and move that.
The compound is a new shape. Moving the compound will not move the original objects it contains.
I have to apologize for that recommendation. After Daves post I had tried to put a sweep and its path in a compound and move that - and it worked. As I know now it was completely unnecessary.