Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Montoya88
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:06 am

Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Montoya88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 am

Hi folks,
I run a small fabrication shop, I fab in the daytime and draft in the night time I'm literally a one man crew. I've been using FreeCAD since my join date on this forum, I know enough to get by.

One thing I looking to improve is creating structural shapes ex: square, rectangular, round tubing.

This is my process lets say it's 2" square tubing:
1. Create a cube 2" x 2" x length needed
2. Create another cube minus the wall thickness lets say it's 1/8" so this cube will 1.75" plus length of the first one.
3. Center the cube appropriately.
4.Perform a cut for the Part workbench.

Now I have a square tube, 19 more to go....

Bottom line is there a more efficient way to go about this?

Thanks,
Tim.
User avatar
Willem
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Lisse, The Netherlands

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Willem » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 am

Hi, a lot of steel profiles are in the arch workbech
Schermafdruk van 2017-03-17 09-09-45.png
Schermafdruk van 2017-03-17 09-09-45.png (19.42 KiB) Viewed 426 times
After placing you can change to the part design workbench for the rest of the job
Montoya88
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:06 am

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Montoya88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I will definitely give it a try tonight or during my lunch. Thank you.
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Montoya88 wrote:I will definitely give it a try tonight or during my lunch. Thank you.

Feel free to document some of your experience for potentially other welders who use FreeCAD.
Montoya88
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:06 am

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Montoya88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Kunda1 wrote:Feel free to document some of your experience for potentially other welders who use FreeCAD.

Absolutely, I was hoping the subject of this thread will attract other welders/fabricators to help answer similar questions. And hopefully help benefit the developers of FreeCAD with input from my end.

With that being said I would like to use this thread for multiple questions that can't be found in topic search.
Montoya88
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:06 am

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Montoya88 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 am

Willem wrote:Hi, a lot of steel profiles are in the arch workbechSchermafdruk van 2017-03-17 09-09-45.pngAfter placing you can change to the part design workbench for the rest of the job


I would like to know if there is a thread, You Tube video, some resource to learn how to use the arch work bench?
User avatar
kkremitzki
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby kkremitzki » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 am

Montoya88 wrote:
Willem wrote:Hi, a lot of steel profiles are in the arch workbechSchermafdruk van 2017-03-17 09-09-45.pngAfter placing you can change to the part design workbench for the rest of the job


I would like to know if there is a thread, You Tube video, some resource to learn how to use the arch work bench?

This video was just recently posted in the forums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6PIEi33R1g

This is a bit shorter overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTDOeHapv_E
User avatar
Willem
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Lisse, The Netherlands

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby Willem » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 am

Hi, in the book Yorik made is a good arch tutorial starting at page 112. Here the link for a download

https://www.gitbook.com/book/yorikvanha ... al/details
looo
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby looo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:34 am

maybe my little workbench is of any help for your task:
https://github.com/looooo/freecad_frame

example (quite old): (pie-menu is not part of the workbench)
https://vimeo.com/127369120
bejant
Posts: 4091
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Re: Welder looking to be more efficient using FreeCAD

Postby bejant » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Montoya88 wrote:One thing I looking to improve is creating structural shapes ex: square, rectangular, round tubing.

This is my process lets say it's 2" square tubing:
1. Create a cube 2" x 2" x length needed
2. Create another cube minus the wall thickness lets say it's 1/8" so this cube will 1.75" plus length of the first one.
3. Center the cube appropriately.
4.Perform a cut for the Part workbench.

Now I have a square tube, 19 more to go....

Bottom line is there a more efficient way to go about this?


I think using the Part WB is more complicated for doing this. Using Part Design instead, only one Sketch is needed and for rectangular Hollow Structural Shapes ("HSS") you only need the height, width, and wall thickness to create a Sketch of the profile (per AISC max outside corner radius is 3x wall thickness). Create a Sketch of the cross-section profile and use Part Design WB > Pad to create the desired length.
20170318a.png
20170318a.png (24.54 KiB) Viewed 251 times


Change any of these values to your liking, and save the changed FreeCAD file as a new document. I started with a model of HSS 4 x 3 x 1/4 and it only took a few seconds to change it to HSS 2 x 2 x 1/8 as shown above and attached below.

20170318a-HSS_4x3x0.25.fcstd
(17.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

20170318b-HSS_2x2x0.125.fcstd
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 7 times


OS: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.16.6707 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 5465bc47c95db45e0be85dc0e2872419efadce0f
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
My Part Design tutorials on YouTube (aimed at beginners).