Fusion operation creates broken object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
chrisb
Posts: 1654
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby chrisb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:47 pm

I am pretty sure it is not a FreeCAD bug. To prove it, we would need identical FreeCAD versions with different OCCs. Although out of pure interest I would like to know it as well: since the bug is gone in the current 0.17 there is not much to win from this information.
Jin
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby Jin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 pm

chrisb wrote:since the bug is gone in the current 0.17 there is not much to win from this information.


Well, actually there is - each distro may use different library versions, so an update of FreeCAD 0.17 would not automatically mean that there is also an update for OCC available, thus if the bug is in OCC then the newer FreeCAD version would not really help...

I am on Fedora 25 by the way, but so far I am using FreeCAD and all dependency libraries from the repos. I could try to compile the newer version and check...
chrisb
Posts: 1654
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby chrisb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:14 am

Jin wrote:Well, actually there is - each distro may use different library versions, so an update of FreeCAD 0.17 would not automatically mean that there is also an update for OCC available, thus if the bug is in OCC then the newer FreeCAD version would not really help...
I see the point.

I checked with this version and a Force_Recompute generates the erroneous fusion:
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10410 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 404debb9f2b05991b93c77fbb0f29e12257e4a83
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

With this version Force_Recompute repairs the error from above:
OS: Mac OS X
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10425 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from db66835)
Hash: db66835c6361f236a68ede8db9386e86e10bc776
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

They are not really the same, but close enough to be another pointer to OCC.
jmaustpc
Posts: 8074
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Australia

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:34 am

Jin wrote:So.. is the fix in FreeCAD 0.17 or in occ? I am a bit confused now :)


Sometimes it can even be a combination of both! :D

It's likely OCC but to be clear, FreeCAD must be run with the same (almost) version of OCC that it was compiled with and with some of the compile time options set the same. So if you are downloading FreeCAD you are stuck with the relevant OCC, but if you compile your own FreeCAD and/or OCC you will have more options.

Don't rely on 0.17 as it is too early in its development cycle and will occasionally likely ruin your project, but it's good to run it as well as 0.16 so you can test it and report relevant bugs etc.
jmaustpc
Posts: 8074
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Australia

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:36 am

chrisb wrote:
Jin wrote:Well, actually there is - each distro may use different library versions, so an update of FreeCAD 0.17 would not automatically mean that there is also an update for OCC available, thus if the bug is in OCC then the newer FreeCAD version would not really help...
I see the point.

I checked with this version and a Force_Recompute generates the erroneous fusion:
OS: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10410 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 404debb9f2b05991b93c77fbb0f29e12257e4a83
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

With this version Force_Recompute repairs the error from above:
OS: Mac OS X
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10425 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from db66835)
Hash: db66835c6361f236a68ede8db9386e86e10bc776
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0

They are not really the same, but close enough to be another pointer to OCC.


Almost certainly OCC. :)
jmaustpc
Posts: 8074
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Australia

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 am

sgrogan wrote:
jmaustpc wrote:for example, FreeCAD 0.17 on Ubuntu still used the very old oce from Ubuntu.

Small correction, until recently FreeCAD used an older version from https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/oce-release, newer than what may be available form the default repos, depending on your version. Now the PPA uses a very recent opencascade package hosted here https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintainers/+archive/ubuntu/freecad-daily


I think you updated to tanderson69's oce 6.9 branch sometime ago? Did you update OCC for the release PPA as well or just daily PPA?
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 12069
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby NormandC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:19 am

No, the freecad-stable PPA is still using OCE 0.17 / OCC 6.8.0 because the 0.16 branch is not compatible with OCC 7.x.

As for updating it to OCE 0.18/OCC 6.9.0, I didn't see much point to it, not to mention that OCE 0.18 is not packaged in Debian yet. I didn't feel like going over the whole packaging process for two different OCC versions, I had enough trouble as it was with OCCT7 (sure good thing we got help from gdo35 because I would probably still be stuck).

But if anyone else is willing, well have at it! ;)
chrisb
Posts: 1654
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Fusion operation creates broken object

Postby chrisb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 am

jmaustpc wrote:I think you updated to tanderson69's oce 6.9 branch sometime ago? Did you update OCC for the release PPA as well or just daily PPA?
No it is the daily which I didn't update for some days. I didn't do so yet, in case there can be gathered more information from it.