Linked sketch copies a posibility ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oly

Linked sketch copies a posibility ?

Post by oly »

Can I reuse a sketch on another part, basically i am duplicating sketches in parts the problem being when i adjust something i have to adjust all the parts.

Be nice if i could create master sketches that I can then map into multiple parts so I know my parts will match and line up.

Is there an option for something like this in freecad 0.16 or 0.17 nightly?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Linked sketch copies a posibility ?

Post by chrisb »

Could you give an example (hand drawing?) where you need this? It sounds as if you should rather do something else like using expressions in 0.16 or reference a plane or another object in 0.17. It is not a good idea to fork the tree.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

You can in the draft workbench clone the sketch. The clones can be moved and scaled. Unfortunately the clones can not be mapped to a face in the part design workbench but they can be padded and pocketed. Here an example of this workflow.
Attachments
hearts.fcstd
(50.45 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
oly

Post by oly »

Image attached, this part is made of 2 sketches, the outline and holes and the inner pocket.

I basically want the exact same part but with the pocket changed to a hexagonal to fit a nut hope that makes sense.

I could copy the part but then if i move the screw holes i need to update the other parts to match, most of the parts i want will be variations on this basic shape.

I will try the draft clone example and see if that lets me achieve what i want.
Attachments
Screenshot-20170300123835-649x640.png
Screenshot-20170300123835-649x640.png (30.36 KiB) Viewed 879 times